16

The morning of the third of August began as usual for Albus Dumbledore. He dressed in his favorite robes, of a dark purple with silver stars scattered over the robes, and matching hat. He had breakfast in the Great Hall, although Minerva was still glaring at him, and he tried to think of a way to get the Dursleys released from jail so they would be able to take care of Harry Potter when he was able to find him. If the boy was to grow up humble and easily led, then Harry must, by Albus' thinking, be raised by the Dursleys. He really felt it was for the Greater Good.

He had just returned to his office after breakfast, when an owl delivered a letter. Judging from the red border on the cream colored envelope, it was from the Wizengamot. Reluctantly, he opened the letter, wishing he could ignore it.

An emergency session of the Wizengamot is called

On this day, the third of August, nineteen eighty-nine

For Nine in the morning.

Albus cast a quick tempus charm to determine the time. On seeing the time was only fifteen minutes before nine o'clock, he hurriedly sent a message to Minerva that he would be away from the castle before leaving. It seemed his usual routine was about to be changed.

OOO

The Wizengamot chamber was close to chaos. Almost everyone there was speculating on the reason the emergency session had been called. All of the members were attempting to speak to their allies as a way to determine if anyone knew the reason behind the session. After they had taken their seats a few minutes before the session would open, Albus Dumbledore walked in next to the Minister of Magic, Millicent Bagnold. From the gesturing and facial expressions that could be seen, the discussion between the two was heated. After a moment, both took their respective places in the chamber.

"Seal the doors!" Albus called. The sounds of locks engaging was heard, signaling that the chamber was secure.

"This is an emergency session of the Wizengamot. Who has called for this session to be convened?" Albus asked.

Lighting her seal as Head of the DMLE, Amelia Bones stood.

"I did, Chief Warlock."

"And for what reason did you call an emergency session, Madam Bones?"

"For the purpose of giving a dangerous criminal who has just come into our custody in the past few days a trial Chief Warlock. I thought it best to convene quickly to see justice done."

"I see. Are there any objections from anyone about hearing this case now and not in one of our regular sessions?"

After looking around, and seeing no lighted wands or seals, Albus nodded.

"Very well, Madam Bones, you may proceed."

"Before the prisoner is brought in Chief Warlock, I'm afraid I must ask you to recuse yourself from this case. There is a connection between the prisoner and yourself. In the interests of a fair trial, it would be best if you have no part of this trial."

"What? That's absurd; I am certainly able to maintain impartiality, so recusing me isn't necessary."

"I'm afraid I must insist, Chief Warlock. Surely you don't want to give the appearance of delaying justice?"

"And just who would take my place should I recuse myself, Madam Bones?"

"I'll sit as Acting Chief Witch," a voice said from the far right. Amelia turned her head toward the direction of the voice.

"Ah, Lady Griselda Marchbanks, thank you. Chief Warlock, if you would please recuse yourself and sit in the visitor's gallery, we can get started by bringing in the prisoner."