23

26 August, 1989

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Minerva McGonagall glanced around the Great Hall as she sat down to breakfast. Albus had told her earlier in the month he needed to leave the school to handle a few things that had come up, but had assured her he would only be gone a few days at most. Now with the start of term coming in less than a week, she hoped he would return to the school soon. None of the inquiries as to his possible whereabouts had helped her find Albus, and while she was able to handle most of the necessary paperwork relating to the school and the upcoming term in her duties as Deputy Headmistress, it was Albus who needed to approve the new term's curriculum in the various subjects. Fortunately he had already hired the new Professor for the Defense Against the Dark Arts post, and the new Professor had arrived the day before.

Honestly, Minerva was at a loss for what to do about finding the Headmaster before term started. If she tried to contact the DMLE, to say Albus would not be pleased when-or if, considering the present absence of the man-he returned to the school would be an understatement. Feeling someone watching her, she turned her head to find herself looking into the impassive face of Severus Snape.

"I take it your attempts to locate Albus have been unsuccessful? And if he doesn't return in time for the start of term, what then?" the Potions Master asked dispassionately.

"Honestly Severus, I'm not sure. As the Deputy Headmistress, I could certainly take care of most of what Albus does for the school, however, there are some things that only the Headmaster can approve before they're done. We still have almost a week before term begins; for all I know, Albus could be on his way back to the school now, and he just hasn't arrived yet."

Severus was about to answer when the morning mail delivery arrived, one of the owls landing in front of him bearing a letter. Removing it from the owl, he noticed the crest of the Ancient and Most Noble House of Black on the envelope. Curious, he opened the envelope and withdrew the letter.

Potions Master Snape,

I realize that receiving a letter from me, let alone actually reading it, is probably the last thing you want to do. I ask that you read my letter despite our history.

I recently was able to spend time with my godson Harry. Naturally, he asked for stories about his parents. In telling him stories about his father James, I told him several stories about the pranks James, Remus, Peter and I did while in school, and I admit, more than a few of those stories included the things the Marauders did to you.

Because I was lost in the memories behind the stories, I didn't immediately notice that Harry wasn't laughing. When I did take notice of his reaction, he looked uncomfortable and upset. So I asked him what was wrong.

What he told me made me feel as though I was receiving a dressing down from Lily, despite his resemblance to James. He described the way his cousin Dudley and some of his cousin's friends would play a 'game' they called "Harry Hunting", where they would chase Harry and beat him up if they caught him. He also told me how his cousin, along with his friends, would pick on other children as well, for no other reason than they could. Harry then asked me a question that reminded me even more of Lily: "If the people you picked on with pranks were hurt, how was that funny?".

His question brought to mind many of the things the Marauders did to the other students and you in particular. We were bullies to you, for no other reason, in my opinion, than James liked Lily Evans, you were already her friend, and Lily refused all of James' heavy handed attempts to get her to like him too. Having been James' best friend, I believe your friendship with Lily, when she would ignore him, made James jealous.