Chapter 48

And then you take me in

And everything in me begins to feel like I belong

Like everybody needs a home

Aurora

********************************************************************************** 

Sunday 13th February 2022

My family?

I had been asleep for the past 6 or so hours as we were around the corner from Katie's parents' house. She was driving and Rue tapped my body. "Wake up, kid. We are here." my mum spoke, picking my head up and putting it on her body.

"Fuck. I need my makeup. I need to cover these." I spoke frantically, making the women laugh. "It's not funny!" I grabbed my makeup bag from the front of the car and took out my colour corrector, concealer and mirror and began covering up the big marks that my girlfriend had left there the day before.

They were fully covered and invisible just as we pulled up.

"I'm scared." I whispered, staying in the car as the other women got out. "Don't be, honestly. They are the sweetest people ever. It's only my mum, dad and Lauryn here right now and the rest are coming tomorrow for Ella's birthday. Come on, kid." Katie smiled, walking around to the boot and grabbing out my bag.

I walked in, hand in hand with Ruesha as Katie opened the door. Her dad, Gary, stood in the living room waiting for us and immediately greeted his daughter with a hug. "Hi kid." He spoke, making me smile. I now know where she got that nickname from. "Hi Rue!" He said, hugging her tighter than he hugged his daughter. "And you... you must be Lauren?" I nodded, smiling slightly. "Can I hug you?" He whispered and I nodded. I felt okay, considering I had my two mums next to me so nothing could happen.

He wrapped his arms around me, and I reciprocated straight away, and I actually enjoyed the hug. It was warm, and cuddly, like a big teddy bear.

"Gary! I hope you didn't introduce yourself before me!" Katie's mum shouted down the stairs. "No! I wouldn't do that. Ladies first!" He shouted back, telling me to keep quiet about it. Her mum ran down the stairs and saw me first. "Hi Lauren! I'm Sharon." She smiled, walking over to me.

"Hi." I shyly spoke back, and she opened her arms. I hugged her and melted. Oh my gosh, her hugs are goooood. "I'll show you up to your rooms?" She spoke and Katie nodded, talking to her mum as Rue started talking to me. We got up to the rooms and I was in a room next to my parents, and on the other side was Lauryn's room.

Once we put our things down, Katie took me to Lauryn's room to meet her. I was scared at first, because she is like... 5 years younger than me... but still.

"Lauryn, are you awake?" Katie spoke. "Barely. Why?" A tired girl replied back. "Can we come in?" Lauryn said yes and as soon as she saw us, she smiled. "Wait, where's Rue?" she asked. "She's with mam. She will come see you soon." Katie laughed.

"Hi Lauren." The other Lauryn spoke. "Shit, that's going to get confusing." Katie laughed, and I nodded. "Hi Lauryn." I laughed back. "Here, sit." the little Lauryn spoke, tapping her bed for me and Katie. We sat down and watched whatever was on her TV until Rue came in, jumping on us. "Rueeee!" Lauryn smiled, hugging her. "I missed you!" Rue smiled back. "I missed you more." Lauryn spoke as me and Katie just laughed.

Gary and Sharon came in a second later. "Get out of bed you lazy monkeys. Breakfast is soon." Gary spoke as Sharon just barged him. "They just got here. Leave them be." She laughed, and Gary rolled his eyes. "No but for real, breakfast is soon." She said before she left.