4

The rest of the week the two teens found themselves completely wrapped up in their research of their newfound discovery. They tried spending time between the class to test out abilities. Climbing walls, shooting webs, and a natural flexibility was shared between the two, but Libbey discovered her webs sometimes burned to the touch as if they emitted a fire like heat. She thought it would be really cool and decided to jot it in her journal.

Today she would be home and couldn't figure out if she should tell her father about what was going on. He wouldn't treat her like some experiment she would hope, but maybe he could give her a better outlook on the new information.
She gave the driver her bag and slipped into the backseat seeing her father already seated and staring at a file.

"Dad.." She started noticing his harsh glare toward her. "I had a question."

"Now is not the time. I've got a lot of papers to read sweetheart. When you get home I expect your phone on the counter, and you will go straight to your room practicing your violin." His voice stern. He never had to punish her before which is something new for them both; now Lauren was always getting in trouble and he felt like she was the reason for greying his hair. Libbey was always the easy one. Things came naturally and she never disappointed him until the field trip. He looked down to her curled figured noticing her fingers fidget together. "What is it? What did you wanna ask?"

"It's nothing..." She mumbled sitting up and looking out the window. He would never understand. I just can't tell him. What if he thinks I'm some freak... I don't wanna be the weird adopted freak daughter that he stays disappointed in.

She decided when she was home she'd focus on her studies and violin practice and maybe at night see about testing her new powers.

In Queens, Mateo was receiving a large lecture from his mother about his behavior the past week from the field trip and missing his class the day after. "What were you thinking, mijo? I can't believe you'd jeopardize your future like this? They said it was you and that head lab guys daughter? I know you don't like her so what exactly happened? !Dios, ten piedad!" her hand held her forehead as she paced back and forth. Mateo sat on the couch head hanging low. "Where are your glasses?" He sat straight up rubbing his neck.

"Ha..ha weird thing is I don't really... need them now", he stared up at her with an awkward smile which was returned with a slap of her sandal. "Ow! Mami, stop! I can see and it was weird. I woke up and bam vision cleared!" She continued slapping him and screaming in Spanish about spending money on those glasses. He sighed in relief when she stopped, but then she threw her arms around him squeezing tight.

"I just worry about you, Mateo..." his expression dropped as he wrapped his arms and returned the hug with eyes closed. She was his everything. The only person in his life that really cared and believed in him. "You're growing up and I don't want you messing it up..."

"I'm not going to... I promise," his voice was soft as they pulled away. She placed a kiss on his forehead before standing and grabbing her bag. "You're working again? You just got home..." Mateo was confused on where she was heading at this hour.

"I got a second job, sweetheart. Don't worry." She pulled the door struggling a bit before slamming it shut. With a click the door was locked and he was left in their empty apartment. He stood up straight going to his closet finding some all black sweatpants and a tight fitted shirt. He wanted to wear something to keep him warm, but also not slow him down when he went roof hopping. He grabbed a thicker hoodie slipping the hood up and some black converse as well. He opened his window staring down at a black face mask he had for when he took the subway. Well, if cops or security saw me... He snatched the mask and put it own before hopping out his window with a THWIP.