Nice Guys Finish Last

Everybody got a slip of paper under their door from Neil that morning.

I'll meet you in the cave tonight- Emergency conference tonight! Bring snacks!

This was the first time they had an emergency anything. All day Todd twisted his mind thinking about what the meeting was for? A million things ran through his head, some good and some bad.

"Hey did you get this note too?" Cameron asked as he sat down next to Todd in trigonometry.

"Ya," he whispered, "I dunno what it's about."

"Are you guys talking about the note?" Y/n asked as she took her seat in front of Todd and Cameron.

"Well whatever it is it's nothing terrible," Knox said as he took a seat next to Y/n, "he wouldn't have told us to bring snacks if it was."

"I guess so," Y/n said as she sat sideways so she could see everyone. She then noticed that Todd looked troubled. "I'm sure he's fine," Y/n said as she gently placed her hand on Todd's forearm.

Her touch was soft and delicate like freshly fallen snow.

"Eyes in front class!" Their teacher announced abruptly.

Just then Cameron slid a ripped piece of paper to Todd. Todd grabbed the paper discretely and read it.

'Dingbat,' Cameron had written. Todd ripped the small piece of paper irritatingly.

"I am not," he said in a low voice.

"Come on we all see it," Cameron taunted.

"See what?" Todd said as he tried to work around his situation.

"You like Y/n," he said as he looked at Y/n's backside.

"I do not," Todd denied.

"You should," Cameron sneered, "she's got a fine rack and ass-"

"Don't take about her like that!" Todd whispered firmly.

"Mr. Anderson and Mr. Cameron is there something that you would like to share with the class?" The teacher said calling them out.

"No Sir we're alright here," Cameron said intimidated. Soon the teacher went back to his teaching while Cameron and Todd sat silently.

"Look I'm not the bad guy here," Cameron spoke again as he got closer to Todd. "Look up there, Y/n right now is sitting with Knox. He's tall, smart, good looking and a hopeless romantic. If you don't act fast someone better than you is going to snatch her up."

Even though Todd didn't want to acknowledge it, Cameron does make a point. There is a lot of fine and eligible bachelors at this school who are bound to ask Y/n out.

This made Todd feel even insignificant than he already did.

Night soon appeared it crawled in, the gang dispersed into a foggy woods to their cave.

"Neil?" Charlie said as he entered.

"Hey, guys!" Neil said with a radiant smile on his face.

"Okay, we're here," Pitts said clasping his hands, "what's the dilemma?"

"I'm going to be in a play!" Neil announced while nothing being able to contain his excitement. "I've got lines and a whole slow dance routine!"

"Neil that's great!" Y/n said as she threw her arms around the passionate boy. "I'm so happy for you- we all are!"

For the rest of the night, the gang sang and laughed with Neil, congratulating him and feasting on stolen goods. Todd gazed at Y/n as she smiled and sang away.

"Wait a minute, I didn't know you could slow dance," Meeks said breaking up the giggles.

"Well I can't," Neil chuckled as he took a bite out of a cookie.

"What?" Charlie laughed as everyone got silent.

"Ya, but I'll learn somehow I guess," Neil reassured.

"I could teach you," Y/n spoke up.

"You would?!" Neil said eagerly.

"Come on!" Y/n giggled as she took his hand as lead him out of the cave. The club followed Y/n and Neil.

'I knew my saxophone would come in handy," Charlie joked as he prepared to play a song.

"Stand here and put your arms around me like this," Y/n said as she positioned herself.

At that moment; Todd would have given anything to be Neil.

Neil held Y/n's back as he pulled her in close to his body, making Y/n blush. Charlie began to play a song as Y/n taught Neil how to sway to the melody.

During their dance Cameron slowly got closer to Todd. "Nice guys finish last Todd," he said as he patted Todd's back.

Todd stood there helplessly as he watched the love of his life waltz away with his best friend. It pained him in such an indiscernible way. Soon the music ended leaving Y/n to look deeply into Neil Perry's eyes.

Todd stared at Y/n like she was the most elegant thing in his world like she was an angel.

'Nice guys finish last,' Todd repeated to himself.