Dinner Party Part One: Introduction

"Darling, come downstairs the Anderson's will be here any moment," Y/n's mother called from the bottom of the steps.

It was a Saturday night and Y/n's father was hosting a dinner for his close colleague Mr. Anderson and his family. In complete honest Y/n did not care for the gathering. The only reason she continued with her father's silly behaviour was for her mother, and another motive, the food.

Y/n came down in an appropriate dress with a button sweater for the event with a small gold locket. Her hair fell into her shoulders to tip off the gold watch on her left wrist.

"What are you doing with that?" Her father asked as he looked at his daughter's hand.

"It's a watch dad," Y/n said as she tried her best to hide her aggravation from her father.

"Take it off, it makes you look like you have manly arms," he announced disgusted.

"Mom got me this watch-"

"I'm not going to repeat myself Y/n," he said annoyed, "take it off!"

"You just did," Y/n shot back slyly.

Just then there was a knock at the door. Y/n's father looked down at her in contempt but within a split moment, his expression changed.

"Anderson, great to see you!" He announced as he took his comrade's hand and shook it.

"You remember my wife, and this is our youngest boy Todd," Mr. Anderson said as he entered the warm home.

"Of course Todd you growing up to be a strapping young man!" Y/n's father said as he shook Todd's hand passively.

"Hello, sir," Todd said in his usual low voice. Everyone was going around saying their hello's, at this time Y/n was still hiding in the staircase.

"Oh, this is our baby girl," Y/n's mother said as she took her daughter's hand and lead her down to the guests.

"Y/n, how you've grown," Mrs. Anderson said as she embraced her like an old friend. "Why, the last time I saw you you were only a little thing."

Y/n thanked the kind lady and played the situation off with one of her famous party smiles. She smiled at everyone, her parents, Mrs. Anderson, to Mr. Anderson and-

"This is our son Todd," Mrs. Anderson said lightly nudging her son to the pretty girl. Y/n suddenly stopped smiling as she looked at the sweet boy.

It was an instant connection for both of them. Y/n held out her hand for the boy to grab, "hello," she said in a soft voice.

Todd was too shy to say a word instead he took her hand lightly. It was smaller than his own and soft to the touch.

"Well," Mrs. Anderson said catching on their connection, "Todd's just completed his midterm exams for Welton Academy."

"Excellent my boy!" Y/n father said as he praised the child that wasn't his own.

"Our Y/n goes to Brighton's girls Academy, with a 90 average," Y/n's mother said with filled with pride.

"My oh my, what a couple of brainiacs we have," Mr. Anderson said with a chuckle, "may you have a bright future, my dear." He applauded.

Y/n looked over to her father who felt inferior to his daughter's knowledge. "Thank you that's very sweet of you to say-"

"I dunno about you but I'm starved," Y/n father said cutting her off, "let's sit down for a wonderful meal.

Everything was already ready for them at the table, their banquet looked extraordinary and everybody was ready to dig in.

Y/n pulled out a seat at the corner of the table as she placed a napkin onto her lap. Todd quietly took a seat next to his mother when she played an innocent trick. "Where did you get that dress?" She asked Y/n's mother as she took a seat next to her leaving the only available seat left next to Y/n. It's not that Todd didn't want to sit with her it's just that he was excessively timid.

Both Y/n and Todd's faces grew red as they sat side by side. Soon everyone began to eat and carry on a polite conversation, that's when Y/n finally spoke to the cute boy. "How's Welton, are they strick there?"

"Kind of," Todd said as he directed all his attention to Y/n, "what about Brighton?" He asked in return.

"Sort of," she said, "the classes are a breeze but the company makes it a little harder," she said being to open up.

"Ya I know what you mean," Todd said deeply relating, they continue with their meal as the two antisocial teens tried to think of the topic of a conversation.

"I like your locket," Todd said, "is there a picture inside?" He asked in a low voice.

(What Todd wanted to ask was that if there was a picture of her boyfriend inside but could find the courage to do so.)

"No, I can't even get it open," she explained, "but I'd love to put one!" He gave Y/n a soft smile with his boyish charm.

This put Todd's heart at ease. He found himself staring at Y/n locked, not realizing that he was also staring in the same direction as her chest. He quickly shot his head back down to his meal incredibly embarrassed.

"You have a nice smile," Y/n complement, " it's cute," she said shooting her shot.

"Thank you," Todd said as his face grew luminous with rosiness. He and Y/n looked at each other as if they had just found their soul mates.

"Darling?" Y/n's mother spoke to her husband, "could you help me bring the coffee, and Y/n could you help me bring out the desserts?" She asked breaking Y/n and Todd's connection.

"Of course," Y/n said as she made her way into the kitchen.

Y/n got a tray and filled it with her mother's famous devil's chocolate cake and apple cinnamon pie she began to walk back to the gathering when she heard her simple-minded father speak in the hallway about something Y/n was very fearful about; her future.

"You can't do this!" Her mother lightly shouted at her controlling husband, "she's just a child-"

"She's seventeen!" He protested, "soon she'll be too old for marriage!"

"I won't let you do this!" Her mother defend, "she's my daughter!"

"A woman's place is at home, taking care of her husband's children and housework. She will marry a hard-working laboured man, an electrician or construction worker. Then she'll understand a woman's place."

"I'll never let that happen to my baby girl," Y/n's mother said boldly.

"I will be the one who chooses a husband for her!" Her father said spitefully. "You stay the hell away from this you hear and don't telling her this, do you understand?!"

Little did they know Y/n had heard everything.

To Be Continued~