Classroom Distraction

There had been an assembly at Welton Academy before she came. The rumours were true, a girl was going to attend their school! As her ancestors were the co-founders of this school it would only be fitting that she was enrolled. It was already a couple of weeks into school so the new student would be slightly behind. Nothing that she couldn't handle.

The first day, first lesson; Mr. Keating's English.

As Y/n made her way down the empty hallway she could hear her small heels taping onto the ceramic floors. She slowly opened the doors to find a sea of boys turning their brainless heads back to look at her.

"Miss Y/n," the teacher said cheerfully, "welcome to our class, I'm Mr. Keating and I will be your teacher." The man said with purpose. "Did you get your books yet?"

"No, the school said not until two days," Y/n said as she still stood by the door.

"I see," Mr. Keating mumbled, "in that case; who would ever be so kind as to share their books with Miss Y/n?"

Just then a committee of hands flew up into the air. All except one.

"Mr. Anderson, thank you for volunteering," Mr. Keating said with his usual mischievous smirk. A desk was soon pulled out and placed right next to Todd's desk.

Y/n took her seat next to Todd. "Hi," she softly whispered to him.

Todd didn't say anything, he just simply nodded at her. He could feel his face growing red. The only girl at Welton Academy and she was sitting right next to him.

"Alright," Mr. Keating's said clasping his hands together, "let's get to it!"

He went on with his lesson like it was nothing, but to Todd, he could hardly focus. There sat the most beautiful girl he had ever seen right next to him. Was it luck or was the universe playing a cruel joke on him. He studied her from the corner of his eye, the way her hair fell over her shoulders to the small blue diamond ring that wrapped around her pinkie.

"Mr. Anderson?" he finally heard Mr. Keating say, Todd's head spun around to look at him. "I do hope that you are not distracted," Mr. Keating said as noticing that everyone was else was reading the sonnet except him.

"Oh-right," was all that he could seem to say. The classroom chuckled at Todd gazing at the new girl and he was beyond embarrassed. He wanted nothing more than to just melt into his chair.

The lesson continued on and to Todd every minute felt like an hour. He didn't move he didn't even want to make a peep. When it was time to share his book that's when Todd became so bashful that he couldn't even think properly.

"Could you please flip to page 613," Mr. Keating asked the class as he grabbed a book of his own.

Todd wasn't particularly listening at the moment he was too busy worrying not to mess up again in front of the new girl.

Y/n noticed Todd's shyness right as soon as as she sat next to him so she was going to be taking the liberty of open up the poem book. Just then Mr. Keating's words finally struck Todd and he too reached to open up the book.

For a split blissfully moment their hands met in the air. Todd's hand covered Y/n over the book, he then pulled it away instantly out of his shyness, "I'm sorry," he quickly whispered to Y/n.

"That's okay," she kindly asserted back to him.

By now Todd could feel his ears grow red, his face was surely pink and was trying his hardest not to screw up again.

Once they got the page open they both began to read, Todd felt Y/n leaning in close towards him to examine the page when all of a sudden her hair fell over her shoulder covering her view. Since she was close to Todd it slightly fell onto his forearm, "sorry," she whispered as she quickly stroked her hair out of the way.

"No worries," Todd said trying to compose himself. They both again leaned close to read the page but this time they caught each other glancing at one another. Y/n gave Todd a precious smile as she looked down at the book.

The universe wasn't playing a cruel joke on him, instead, Todd was placing the pieces together at he was the luckiest guy in school.