ONE

𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙤𝙣𝙚 :
YOU'RE HORRIBLE AT PERSUASION

﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎

     (F/N) THOUGHT SHE was over Michael Schmidt. They had been broken up for a few months, and after he threw their relationship away by prioritizing other things, she wanted little to do with him anymore.

     At least, that was what she thought. When his aunt Jane knocked on her door, saying they needed to talk about Michael, (F/N) couldn't help but open the door.

     "Come in." (F/N) said as she reluctantly moved out of the way for Jane to enter her house. She hadn't particularly liked Jane even when (F/N) was dating her nephew. At every function they attended together, Jane always attempted to dig at Mike. It grew old fast.

     They made it to (F/N)'s dining table, and once they had sat Jane inquired, "Do you have any coffee?"

     "Not any that's made." (F/N) leaned back slightly in her seat. Jane blinked at her for a moment, and seemingly got the message that (F/N) wasn't going to make any for her.

     The older woman clicked her tongue and nodded, "Okay..." She paused for a moment before bringing up, "So, about Mike." (F/N) waited for her to continue. "Have you ever noticed anything wrong with Mike? Any, per se, aggressive behavior?"

     "Not in the slightest." Maybe there were some things that the man could work on, but aggressive? Never. (F/N) couldn't keep the confusion off her expression, "What's this about?"

     Jane leaned forward as though to share a secret, "A few days ago, Mike beat up a man at his job."

(F/N)'s eyebrows furrowed, expecting the best from Mike, "Well, he is a security guard." The idea wasn't the craziest thing in the world.

"Was, a security guard." The statement was blunt and made (F/N)'s eyebrows raise in surprise. Jane noticed her shock and tried to increase it, "He beat the man up in front of his child."

     (F/N) tried to keep her mind unbiased, "What was going on?"

     "Mike claimed that he believed the man to be kidnapping the child." Jane repeated in surprise, "His own child!"

     Mike beat a man up in front of his own child? Damn, he screwed up.

     And yet, (F/N) couldn't really blame him for reacting like that. Mike had told her of his past, more specifically the kidnapping of his brother Garrett. No wonder he'd jump in action if he thought a child was being kidnapped.

     However, it had been a huge lack of reasoning.

     She stayed quiet. And Jane must have taken that as a good sign to continue. Even though in (F/N)'s opinion, she shouldn't have.

     "That's why I'm trying to get custody over Abby." Jane seemed proud of the fact, but it only upset the other participant in the conversation.

     "You're trying to separate them?" (F/N) called out quickly.

     Jane didn't seem deterred by her angry tone, "Mike simply isn't fit to have her. She would love much better with me. Even he agrees to that."