Kindled Love

Hamida's visits became more frequent and Haroon was always around. Their Conversations deepened and there was no doubt love had been kindled in their hearts. Haroon was absolutely sure of his feelings for Hamida. He had fallen so deeply in love with her that any decision of his future would have her as his major consideration.
The past months have been revealing. He found out Hamida lost her mother when she was 9 and her father never remarried. Her grandmother was still at odds with her fathers decision. She has a full-time nanny and a driver who just happens to be her nanny's husband. She appreciated them and calls them mama Ladi and Malam Musa.
'Do you miss your parents' Hamida asked Haroon. They were seated by the Umma's little garden beside the house. It had two chairs and a coffee table.
'I can't remember much about them but I have longed for them some time and wondered what they were like'
He looked at her knowing well she has experienced loss as well.
'I was told I looked like my dad' he said with a slight smile.

'He was very handsome then' Hamida said without looking his way. She had a subtle way of sending shivers down his spine without her knowing.

'I have this decision to make for quite some time now. I have a scholarship in the United Kingdom to pursue a postgraduate program and the other option is an employment offer at the faculty of Engineering ABU'
She was quiet for a bit, Haroon observed her face and every time he looked at her she was more beautiful.

'You should go to the UK that is the better choice' she finally said
Haroon searched her face to try to determine her emotions because what he was about to ask her was very important.

'When can I and my family meet your Dad? Because if I'm going, we have to go together right?'

She was silent for a long time but Haroon was patient, he understood that this was new to both if them and they needed all the time they could have to process things.
When she finally spoke her voice was trembling
'Haroon I don't know how these things take place and my dad is not the kind I'll just approach and tell him this I... wish my mother was here to guide me.'
Her voice broke and he could see how distressed she had become and her teary eyes gave way rolling down her cheeks
He wanted so badly to reach to her and hold her tight and wipe her face and tell her how much he loves her. But he couldn't.
'I'm sorry I upset you I never meant to do so.' He clapped his hands around his neck in frustration of what he couldn't do.

'I just wanted to let you know the direction I want or wish us to go forward. You have become part of my dream, truth be told Hamida you are my dream. I have fallen in love with you absolutely and completely.'

Mairo walked up to them an saw the distress on both their faces. 'What happened' she asked worried
'Ya Haroon you promised me you will never hurt her.'
'I did not hurt her Mairo please calm down, I don't want Umma coming to ask what is the matter.'
'I'm alright Mairo, can we go to your room please'
She could not look at Haroon and with a wiisppetrd voice said 'kindly excuse me.'

He understood that it not part of the northern culture for a girl to talk to her father about certain issue, but there has to me a way to initiate this.

When it was time for her to go Haroon was standing on the hall way with a worried faced his hands in his pocket
'I'm sorry I upset you' he said

'You didn't do anything wrong , my emotions got the best of me'
Looking frustrated Haroon said
'Hamida I just need to know if I'm pushing this with your affirmation.'
Not knowing what she thinks or how she feels about him is worrisome. They have been talking for the past month and he can bet she likes him but she has never said so to him. He clearly understands culture and religion tradition, but he needed to know how she feels about him.
'I have to go home now' Hamida said, clinching her small purse to her armpit and avoiding his face.
That's it? That's all she could say. He watched as the tinted car drove away not able to glacé at her face inside. He could feel the pain spread over his chest.
'Ya Haroon'
He turned around to see Mairo holding out a paper to him.
'She said I should give you this after she leaves'
What could she have written, could she not tell him to his face that her heart was not for him?
He reached out and collected the paper, walking away, his sister called him gently
'Ya Haroon'
He turned to look at her, his face smeared with sadness
'Just so you know, she told me she loves you'
He stared at his sister digesting what she just told him.
'What else did she say?' He asked his sister gently with a putty face.
'She had never been more scared of losing anyone as she was afraid of losing you'

She loves me! He screamed to himself.
'Thank you Mairo, this means a lot to me'
He got to his room and opened the paper

I do, more than you know
Never have I, but I do.
I dream, I wish and pray I'll be your.
Your Hamida

'I love you My Hamida.'
Joy enveloped him with a tear dropping from his eyes. He wiped it and thought, lets get to work and get my bride.

Hey fam thanks for reading this far kindly comment and share I promise you the best read thus far

🤗