Despair

Zarah was glad Nadia and Ahmed were back. They've been fixing and renovating their home and Zarah was helping. This kept her busy. The holiday was around the corner and she was not looking to go back to Nigeria. She knew what awaited her. Hasiya on the other hand was thrilled about the Sadiq guy. She told her they had met a couple of times and were in constant communication. She was happy for her dear cousin.
' zan gaya Miki wata labari da na ji kan Umar' ( I'm gonna tell you what I heard about Umar)
' wai yanada budurwa bairabiya ( that he has a Yoruba girlfriend'
' Her name is Dami and they have been together for some time, so he's not kin about this arrangement with you as well"

Zarah listened to Hasiya, she didn't know what to think about Umar having someone he liked, but she knew even that would not stop her family. It was worse for her and Umar. They were all involved with foreigners her family would say.
'I'm not coming back this December holiday. Baba said they are all coming over from Saudi after Umrah with Anty Ya Zaid and Laila (Zaid's) wife.'
' I'll miss you, take care Zarah' Hasiya drop the phone.
The family were coming to The UK, and heading to Manchester to visit Anty Fati, her dad's cousin who had put to bed. No one has yet informed her about the arrangements, but if anyone will it would be her stepmom. Zarah was not looking forward to that.

She was going to Nadia's house, for a housewarming dinner. They had invited a few friends. She was aware she would be seeing Jamil for the first time after their fight. She wanted to see him so badly.
The snow came in early this year, Zarah tried to get to the bus station early, but she missed it and had to wait for the next. She was running late and hated this weather. She remembered her discussions about the weather with Jamil and she smiled for a second before the sadness engulfed her. It had been two weeks of agony.
When she arrived at the house the guys were in the garden. Zarah joined the girls in the kitchen.
'So sorry I'm late,' Zarah said as she took off her jacket. She was wearing a pink coloured dress with a matching sweater. She wrapped a black jersey headscarf on her head. Her flushed face from the snowy weather gave her a natural blush. Without trying, Zarah looked pretty in pink.
When they called the guys in for dinner Zarah stood behind a dining chair, then their eyes met, and Jamil looked like he had seen a ghost. He intentionally walked passed her without a glance or word. She noticed he also avoided the dining chair opposite her.
While they were eating, Nadia made a joke saying

'Enjoy this premium Nigerian jollof made by our Nigerian princess, Zarah'
Everyone laughed and cheered except Jamil. He looked irritated, refused to look Zarah's way and avoided the jollof. After dinner. Zarah saw him alone on the balcony. She summoned courage and stepped on the balcony. When he turned to see it was her, Jamil looked unbothered.

'Salaam,' Zarah said
He didn't reply, he was standing in the cold wearing a black T-shirt without a jacket
'Are you okay' she added when he wouldn't answer
'It's cold you should wear your jacket" Zarah said

' To be honest I don't know why you care. If you must know I'm fine ' Jamil said flatly
'Jamil...you know I care.' Zarah said
'Why are you here? You know what, I'm out of here, excuse me" he walked away leaving Zarah on the balcony.
He picked up his Jacket and went out the door.
Ahmed followed Jamil out, seeing him storm out.
'Hey mate, what happened?'

' why would she ask me how I'm doing? She wants me to say I'm gutted, I miss her, it's driving me crazy. My nights and days are shitty because of her?"
" was that what she wanted to know?" Jamil said facing Ahmed visibly mad.
'I'm sorry mate but I'm gonna have to leave.' Jamil said with anguish. He turned back to Ahmed and said
'I thought she was gone for the holidays. That's why I came, knowing she was not gonna be here" he wore his jacket

'She said her folks are coming so she had to stay' Ahmed explained
'See you mate' Jamil said he got into his car and banged on the steering wheel. He saw the hurt on her face when he lashed out at her. He was livid at her for doing this to them both. The pain he felt was unbearable and seeing her made it real. She looked as beautiful as the day he first saw her. He needed to clear his head not be close to her not breathe in the same space with her. That was why he was on the balcony. When he heard her voice behind him, he got frustrated and lashed out. While driving home he got a text from Zarah

'I'm truly sorry, I never meant to hurt you'

Jamil wanted to make a U-turn and go back to her. But he didn't. Instead, he drove to his parent's house. That was the only place he could find any comfort.
When he got home, his parents were in the home library taking and having tea.
One look at him and his mom knew he was going through a rough time. Jamil took out a cup and poured the tea his parents were taking for himself.
'What's the matter darling' his mom said.
'It is still about Zarah?'
He had told his mother about what had transpired.
' Son, give it time' his dad said ' and give her the benefit of the doubt' he added 'Find out why she is letting you go'
' I still don't know why she's doing this, it'll be better knowing why' Jamil said

' You'd be surprised what you'll find'
Jamil was too hurt to find out why Zarah blew him off. What he knew for certain was she had caused him much despair.