Kano

Jamil picked Zarah up for the airport. It was a 20-minute drive from Aston.

'I'm still exhausted and I'm going straight into another chaotic week. Nigerian weddings are not for the fainthearted.' Zarah said in a yawning voice. She was glad he'd come to take her because she was half sleepy. Jamil had helped put her bag in the trunk of his car and she was enjoying the heating coming from the vent of the Rover.

'Is a good thing I see myself as daring, I'll fit in perfectly' Jamil said with a smile
Zarah smiled back but inside she was terrified. Terrified for them and what would be. He had asked her if he could come along for her brother's wedding. She told him no several times and explained to him how their cultural norms were worlds apart.

When they got to the airport Zarah was asleep for the short ride. She woke up and noticed that Jamil was not parked at the drop-off.

'Ohh no why are you packed here.' she said a bit confused.

'Okay, don't be mad I did something, please don't be mad, just hear me out'
Zarah was apprehensive, what did he do?
'I changed your booking' he said
' why, my family is expecting me today' she said her eyes wide with worry.

'No no, I did not change the date, Zarah. You are still travelling, I upgraded the booking' 
He was searching her face for hints
'I just wanted you to be comfortable please don't be mad'
Zarah was too tired to be mad and maybe the upgrade was not a bad idea. She guessed he upgraded her to business class.
'Thank you' she said sincerely.
He followed her and led her to the fast-track check-in, and then she realized he had upgraded her to First-class, she turned to look at him. He stood at the side in his black padded jacket unassuming. When she was done, and about to leave for the lounge, they stood facing each other.
' thank you' she said. He shook his head indicating she shouldn't thank him.
'I'll see you in a week insha Allah' she said
' see you then ' he replied with a sad tone.
He brought out his phone as she turned away and sent her a text. Zarah had her phone in her hand and turned to look at him with adoration
He had texted her-
' I love you Zarah'
She held the phone to her chest walking backwards until Jamil was out of her sight.
and she whispered 'I love you to Jamil. I love you too'

 I love you too'

****

Zarah got to the Abuja International Airport refreshed and rested. She thoroughly enjoyed her flight. The first-class pampering did wonders for her fatigue. She got her bags and tried to book a local flight to Kano, but it was impossible. She called her dad because it was getting late if he could help. Unfortunately in Nigeria, one has to pull stings to get things done. After waiting for long her dad called to tell her she would be staying at one of their relative's places in Abuja city. Zarah was gutted. She wanted to be in Kano that night.
Her dad informed her a car was coming to get her.
When she got a call from a Nigerian number should didn't recognize, she knew this was her ride to town. Her UK number was still active but not for long. She needed to recharge her Nigerian line. She quickly send Jamil a message-
'I've arrived I'll call you when I get home'