Pursuit of Love

Zarah could not take her mind off Jamil, she slept thinking of him and his charm and woke up smiling at the thought of him. It was Sunday and she'd decided to spend it at home. She woke up in the mid-morning and stayed in bed. The doorbell rang and she wondered who it was. She ignored it for the first two rings and got up the third time. At the door was a delivery van and a man with a bunch of red roses and a large box tied with red ribbons. She signed for them and took the card out it read

'Red roses and chocolate, but hey nothing can beat the Nigerian Jollof'

She smiled, how was he able to get to her this much? Coming to the UK to study was an escape from the prying eyes of her family members trying hard to match her with one cousin or the other. When she started studying engineering, they backed off because everyone had the notion it was an important course and she needed all the concentration to succeed. Her dad was proud of her and had encouraged her all the way. He would always say, her mom would be proud.
Her step mom on the other hand always bothered her about marriage.
'Toh aii sai kiyi auran ki chigaba da karatun' ( just marry and continue the studies)
She had nothing against her stepmom, but she thought they were two different people who saw the world in different lights.
She disliked the idea that no one in her family was allowed to marry an outsider, but she had relinquished and conceded on this issue.
She had become dispassionate about any romantic relationship.
Now she was falling deeply for Jamil and he was making it easy for her to do so.
She put the roses into a large bowl with water. She needed to have some breakfast before eating any of these chocolates.
Nadia was coming back in three days and would meet a different Zarah from the one she left. She would be more excited for her now than anyone.

****
She was seeing Nadia today after work and she was more than excited. She missed her so much and wanted to tell her everything. The Monday after her lunch with Jamal, she wondered how their interaction would be. She noticed he was not in his class box office. When he came in late into the morning, she saw him glance her way but no acknowledgement. She did not know what to read into this. She had never been in a relationship, how does it work? Are they even in a relationship? How is one to act towards a love interest, she was so lost she needed to talk to Nadia.
Just before the close of work, her intercom rang she instantly knew it was him because she had just concluded the day's task with her supervisor Mr Ajay.
She picked up and heard his voice at the other end. She was tempted to get up and stretch to see him talking to her from his class box.
'Salaam Zarah, I'm meeting Ahmed after work and he said Nadia asked I pick you up as well'
Nadia was still trying the matchmaker job. If only she knew what Zarah felt about Jamil.

'Okay' Zarah said

'I'll pick you up by the building entrance if that's alright'

'That's fine' she said
She stood by the entrance of the office building for a minute before Jamil drove out of the underground parking lot.
They drove in silence before Zarah said

'Thank you for the Flowers and chocolates'
Jamil nodded and said
' I remember you said chocolates are your favourite.'
She simile, that he was so observant and had noted she loved chocolates from their lunch.
When they got to the restaurant it was the same one they went. She was eager to see Nadia. When they got in Nadia ran to her with a big hug.
'Habibty I missed you' Nadia said. She turned to Jamil and said

' Salaam Jamil, thanks for giving her a ride'

'Not a bother' Jamil said looking at Zarah keenly.
'So how's the internship I hope Jamil and his peeps are been good to you?'

Zarah and Jamil's gaze met before she turned to Nadia and said
'Is going fine Nadee, you have to tell me all about Kenya and your grandma'

'Let's eat first, you have to come
Shopping with me and just so you know, Every dish in this place is good I promise you, so go ahead and order' Nadia said to Zarah

Zarah smiled she did not dare to look Jamil's way but she felt his eyes on her.
Then Ahmed said to Jamil
'You know I doubted you when you said you were gonna open a restaurant, but I was wrong, look how this place is packed'

This time around it was Zarah who looked to Jamil with a surprised face and a raised eyebrow. So he owns the restaurant, she thought to herself. He deliberately left that out when they had lunch on Sunday. She wondered why.
****
At the mall, Nadia was trying out new outfits when Zarah said.
'I think I went out on a date with Jamil, or maybe I'm just reading too much into it.'

Zarah peeped through the changing
'What, when,?' with an excited face.

Zarah narrated what had happened on Saturday.
'And he sent you a bunch of roses?' Nadia asked to confirm with a wide smile.
Zarah nodded in confirmation.

'Of course, that was a date, ohh my Habibty and I have known Jamil for a while, he doesn't flirt so this has to be real for him'

'Well, you know I shouldn't lead him right? It would be wrong. Knowing I couldn't be more than just his friend' Zarah said with a sad tone.

'Listen to your heart habibty, Jamil is one of the good ones out there. If you give both of you a chance, then maybe fate will be kind to you

Nadia was saying everything Zarah wanted to hear but her reality could not evade her.

'Let's put this aside and talk about your walimah' Zarah said trying to brush away the matter with Jamil.
Zarah also wanted to take her mind off Jamil. If she could.

'You know Hooyo(mum) is on that, all I have to do is show up'
Nadia's phone rang, it was Ahmed
'Hey, you guys done with playing ball already?'
She listened to the phone and her face changed.
'We're coming behind you' she said and ended the call.

Zarah stood up from the dressing bench and asked
'What happened?'

'Jamil had an accident on the field, he hurt his ankle joint badly and they had to call an ambulance. They are at the hospital now

Zarah felt her heartbeat pump faster. She worried and feared for the worst. As they drove to the hospital, her palms were trembling and her legs shaking. Nadia held her and said
'He'll be fine inshaAllah.'

They got to the hospital A&E, Ahmed was standing and he hugged Nadia, explaining to her what had happened.

'Ankle veins are severed and they had to take him in for emergency surgery, any further delay would lead to shrinkage in the severed veins' Ahmed explained with a distressed face.

Zarah understood little from what Ahmed said, but she understood it was serious.

'His parent are in America at the moment. I'll have to call them at the right time.' Ahmed said

'InshaAllah he'll be fine' Nadia said trying to comfort Ahmed
They all sat in the waiting room in silence, occasionally saying one thing or the other. After about 40 minutes, the doctor came in to say the surgery went well he'll be awake soon and he is now being wheeled to recovery Ward.
They all proceeded there, and after some time Ahmed told Nadia and Zarah to go, and that he'd stay with him until he woke up.
A nurse came in and asked
'Who's Zarah? His asking for Zarah'.
***