VIII. Sicut Tenebras Celat

Sicut tenebras celat

As the Darkness Hides

--

--

Morning came fast, and with the sun rising, the students prepares themselves for the incoming Initiation.

Hikaru Shin, however, is in a bad mood. You see, he didn't get a good sleep because of one thing he did not expect to encounter...

(Flashback)

After knocking both Ruby and Weiss unconscious, Yang was impressed by this and dragged Ruby back to her sleeping bag. The students in the ballroom are sleeping, and after a few minutes Blake fell asleep as well, leaving Hikaru alone.

Satisfied, he was about to tuck in as well, but his danger senses flared so much that it made his skin jump and snatching his Nichirin Blade in reflex.

A foul, dark, and a very hostile air lingers inside the ballroom that he hastily scanned the dark room with his eyes, from its walls to each corner.

With a piercing glare, he whispered loudly. "Who goes there?!"

A faint hand movement was seen by him that is obviously not a student's, and because he was faster than them, he skipped through and stabbed the hand, only to reveal that it was a shadow. "Shit..." He hissed as the hand sunk on the floor.

A creepy growl made his skin tremble as he felt someone is whispering into his ear. "Behind!" He predicted as he snapped his head around and did a tiny swing, only to slice the tip of a tongue.

The creature yelped quietly and retreated back to the darkness like a spider. "Cowardly heretic! Show yourself!" He indistinctly grinds his teeth in annoyance.

Waiting for the creature, it answers back with a thrust from its sharp tongue. Hikaru sees this and ducked, the attack missed some strands of his hair as Hikaru unsheathes his blade and pivoted his self around, delivering a quick upward slash at the slimy tongue.

Fortunately, he sliced a major part of it and the creature growled in pain with its sliced tongue disappearing in a form of burnt ashes.

The scene made his eyes wide, and looking back, his face changed in complete hatred. "A demon?!" He exclaimed in Japanese. "What is it doing here?! I thought Muzan's dead!"

(Remember: Slanted Dialogues are themselves speaking in Japanese like this)

Surprisingly for him, the demon talked as he retracted back his sliced tongue and darkly chuckled as it tilts its head ninety degrees. "A Hashira? The Mistress told me that there will be no enemies here that can able to track us!"

"Mistress?" Hikaru muttered. "Us? What do you mean by us?!" His blood run cold at that statement.