아마란타 공주

깨진 사이클
3 장

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

아마란타 공주
Princess Amarantha

The daylight crept through the windows as I slowly woke up, to find that my spot beside Sophia was empty. For a moment, I felt a sense of worry, but it quickly subsided when I spotted Sophia through the door, carrying clothes and bearing a heap of berries. She smiled at me multiple berries rested in her hands, and it brought a smile to my face, I reached out my hand, and she handed some to me, smiling.

"Morning Amara" Sophia greeted me, once again bringing a smile to my face with her friendly demeanor. "Why don't you eat up, and after you're done, we can go take a bath in the lake." She then suggested, to which my expression quickly shifted to a look of confusions while my smile dropped, it's replacement being a frown, she said it like it was the most normal idea in the world. "What?" I inquired, utterly flabbergasted by her suggestion, before adding, " Why would I do that, I am the princess, and I am this Empire's only heir. How dare I embarrass the Obelia name?"

Sophia stared back at me, seemingly perplexed by my reaction, as she defended her suggestion. "We have been running for the entire afternoon." she mentioned, "We basically bathed in our own sweat." she continued, to which I remained visibly shaken up. "How could you suggest that I or we take a bath in the lake, that's outrageous!" I cried out, "And how could you be fine with it?" I added, "Are you not the prestigious lady of house Paget?" Sophia then gave me a stern look arguing back. "Do you suggest we stay in these for another day?" Sophia said motioning to our dirt covered dresses which silenced me.

Suddenly, after an instant snap of a finger, we had already finished washing, and we dried ourselves, changing into the clothes that Sophia had given me. As we did, I noticed my reflection, where my hair remained dry and brittle while my lips cracked, yet my jeweled eyes seemed to have found their shine once more. Sophia then turned to face me, sensing me looking at her. It was as if a spell was cast over me, as every part of me had drastically changed, yet somehow, I felt content. It was all thanks to Sophia, and I truly appreciated her for coming into my life.

"For how many time I have looked at you." Sophia began as she sat down into the grass besides me, "Amara, I never really noticed your jeweled eyes" she continued, her voice filled with laughter. "Such a giveaway of royalty was merely ignored by a person like me..." she sighed, as she looked me in the eyes. She was right, she had somehow overlooked my jewel eyes, despite her being a noble herself. Yet, now, she was able to see the truth, and she was amazed at what she had ignored previously.

I sat down as well, as I tried to take in Sophia's words. "Why were you being chased by those guards?" I inquired, "And then why would you go to town stealing" I asked with slight confusion. I continued, asking her, "Are you perhaps an illegitimate child?" I paused for a moment, as I wondered if there was an explanation to her actions. "But that's not possible" I said, as I thought about it, "You are the only daughter of Duke Paget from his first wife, so what could possibly be the reason for your rebel actions?"

Sophia's silence left me confused, as the questions regarding her actions were left unanswered. "The answer to those shall be answered on another day." she said, with a grin, shifting the conversation. "But more importantly" she continued, "why was the princess I had kidnap so gloomy and dark" she chuckled, "when the princess I had heard so much about was just the loveliest?" Sophia change the course of the conversation away from her own mysterious actions, to focus on me, and my once gloomy demeanor.

"...."

"My mother had passed away last year," I replied, my eyes filled with sadness, as I remembered the terrible loss. Sophia's eyes widened at my response, as she lowered her gaze to express her sorrow and empathy. "Oh... I am sorry for your loss Amara," Sophia replied quickly, before adding, "If it makes you feel any better, my mother passed away giving birth to me." Sophia shared a similar experience with me, which brought out our shared sense of loneliness and loss, even amid our budding friendship.