Rome 2001

Rome 15/2/02001

Good fortune and maybe a little luck combined for me to return to Rome in Feb 2001, it was to be on my birthday and was my own personal birthday present to myself. I had just returned to working in Wotton under Edge (for LloydsTSB) because of staff shortages there. With good planning and by getting in quick I arranged a week's leave for the match week which they were obliged to hold. Stroud (my previous branch) would have to provide cover and I ensured this was the case.

On the Friday of my final working day before the trip I arranged for cakes to be bought on my birthday while I was away and wished my colleagues farewell who responded with bon voyage.

Rome is the scene of what I view as Liverpool's greatest triumph despite later having gone to Istanbul. Older fans will say 1977 was the best but for me 84 pre the 86 (and my first) cup final was unbeatable the flight out of Liverpool was an early morning scheduled flight and my plan was to drive up to Liverpool to arrive around about midnight and kip a little in the airport. This was in the days before I had a mobile phone and only an alarm on my watch. In preparation I changed my sleeping pattern in the day's pre-travel for the Thursday match so from Saturday to and including Wednesday I slept during the day.

On the Wednesday I slept as best I could despite the excitement and nervousness I felt until about five when I rose from my bed as if it was the start of a new day. I ate a prepared meal and enjoyed a smashing sweet before gathering a few possessions ensuring I had the all-important items. Passport, money, air ticket, match ticket, anything else no I thought. I took a flask with me for the journey and throughout the drive I would gently touch the inside of my coat ensuring at least the passport was still on me.

I staggered my drive using a route I acquired on route master, the early bit I knew well from my coach trips; it was only after I left the M6 and headed over the Runcorn bridge that I would be in new territory. I staggered the journey stopping at two service stations for a break and fresh air. The dark night was calm and cold with very few drivers and people around. As I stopped in the first service station, I imagined a group of young travellers in adjacent cars with red tops and red and white scarves just like the one I was taking. Mine was new a faded and ancient one soon to be kept as a souvenir but is was the one I wore to Rome in 1984 so I considered it lucky though was not going to display it prominently when in Rome.

I faced the Runcorn Bridge with deep anxiety as water either walking by a river or crossing over on a bridge gave me the "willies". I am much better now and have learnt to control my fear with a technique I have developed but in those days the plan was to get across as quick as I could. I was nervous as I approached the bridge the bright lights of Runcorn could be seen in the distance as could the bridge which appeared to disappear and reappear. Once heading for the bridge with the final junction passed, I had no choice there was no turning back so I focussed on the road ahead looked neither left or right even though I realised when I was halfway across then two thirds of the way and final with a deep breath and much relief completely over and getting closer to my destination Liverpool Airport. Speke airport as it was then named although later it became John Lennon airport was only a few miles away and I could hear the sound of late-night airplanes flying through the air. The bright light still lit up the roads as I drove to and found the car park where my car was booked in for the stay. It was eerie and unreal to me like nowhere on earth. I paid for my parking and was driven the short walk able distance to the airport where I was dropped off and found my way in. Check in was early that morning as it was now past midnight so I settled down for whatever sleep I could get setting my alarm.

Check in time came and I joined the queue this was a new experience for me as I had no memories of my experiences from 1984, not even vague. Once my all-important boarding pass was gained, I headed for security which I passed through quickly and the area where I was to wait. It was packed but I did manage to see and meet up with Kevin Doran and an old friend with whom I travelled on the train many times although due to work commitments and myself going by coach we had not seen each other for many months.