Florence

20 Fiorentina

I rushed home for the Thursday evening draw of the group stages eagerly anticipating the possibilities. Five O'clock UK time an hour later in central Europe I was prepared with a page open to note our group opponents, the EUFA page with the seeding pots and commentary from Radio5Liveextra.

Having prepared I reviewed the options with the reds amongst the top seeds this meant we avoided the other English clubs (Which would happen anyway) the two Spanish giants Real Madrid (who were to host the final and are strong favourites) and Barcelona city of my last European visit. Disappointingly from my personal perspective Bayern Munich a venue I am now eager to visit completed the eight. In the next two seeding groups I noticed a fifty - fifty chance in each of a new venue for me while the bottom seeds gave me a seven in eight chance. I determined that I was guaranteed one new venue and expected one repeat visit with a fifty - fifty chance either way on the other. The chances of no new trip for me were one time one time one = one over two times two times eight giving a one in thirty-two chance. Three new venues had better odds of seven in thirty-two though I was not optimistic.

Lyon were the number two seeds in the Liverpool group a pleasing start followed by Italian giant Fiorentina from the city of Florence. I was delighted as with a seven in eight chance of making it a clean sweep nothing could stop me now. Sure, as eggs are eggs the Hungarian champions with the unpronounceable name came out of the hat. All I recall is it begin with D although it later transpired that with a 10k capacity stadium the Capital Budapest would host our encounter.

Plans were now being made and after much discussion two, two-night stays and a one-night trip to Lyon was to be my European excursion. Tony was interested in a three-day trip to Hungary but with my decision coming too late settled on a two-night visit.

It was after my final twenty-mile training walk that I finalised my plans for the first trip. Flying from Liverpool John Lennon airport on the Monday morning prior to the match in Italy and only hours after I was due to complete a gruelling twenty-one mile five valleys walk.

Frampton on severn where I commenced my walk is a traditional English village with a Green that stretches from the Bell Inn to Restaurant at the far end taking a good fifteen minutes to stroll. A road straight down the middle divides it in two with lanes on either side. One plays host to large houses and acres of property of the "Lord of the manor" family and servants. It was probably the current one and lady wife who acknowledged me at mid-day as I returned to my car. Two duck ponds a cricket pitch trees, and wooden seats adorn the other side while the Ivy covered detached house, I parked opposite was one of many straddling the opposite side. Its two lower windows and door where like a nose and eyes while bald patches on a receding hair are the best description of the limited light allowed into the upper ones.

Despite my fear and dislike of water I was soon bravely on the canal tow path at a brisk pace of three miles an hour which I was to keep up all morning. Ducks and magnificent swans reminding me of a friend and how attractive she could be if desired, the odd rabbit plus a pair of seagulls heading to my destination of Gloucester accompanied me. Two dogs happy to see a new face who made such a big fuss despite the loud and constant bark of the second one. Just like "Snowy" the bark was worse than the bite while swans kept their distance on the water, and I showed them respect but no fear.

At the end as often is the case on these 20-mile expeditions my legs ached even though I had kept up a constant pace. With the short ten-minute drive completed I soaked in a bath to ease the pain in my legs and soon was falling asleep for ten hours. I realised then that to the complete walk followed by drive up to Liverpool was both dangerous and possible would have resulted in me falling asleep and missing the flight. I have opted to cut down the length of the walk much to my chagrin and disappointment but will implement a training plan to complete the full distance in 2010. I may be able to attempt a trial walk using directions I hope to acquire.