Chapter 22

I sat in the chair listening to Price talk as he ran through the intel that had been found between my mission with Ghost, and Gaz's mission. 

"Shaista has been confirmed to be in Turkmenistan. She has been moving erratically, but has been confirmed sighted at three black market auctions. As far as we can tell, none of her entourage so far have made any bids on the merchandise."

Price paused in his spiel and looked at us expectantly. "We have word that we have her next suspected location. There's one more auction happening before she is scheduled to be leaving again. I want her whole operation bought down, but we need more intel. I'm sending Ceri in as bait. Shaista won't be able to resist a hybrid on the market. Since Australia sent out requests months ago seeking a handler, rumours have been spreading like wildfire "

 "No, absolutely not." Ghosts anger rumbled through me like a freight train as he stood, his presence even larger due to the anger rolling through him. I sat back unphased having felt his anger growing larger every second since my name was uttered from Prices mouth. Soap and Gaz however glanced at their Lieutenant and then each other, concern radiating from them. At about the same time, I could sense something new outside the door. My ears flickered, sensing two new heartbeats I didn't recognise. I glanced at the wooden door and wondered if we had new recruits on base, or just someone I hadn't met yet 

"Ceri will not be sent off by herself as bait into unknown territory for gods knows how long!" He slammed his hand down on the desk .

"Good news then. Because you're going with her. It's well rumoured that the feral wolf has found her handler. Unfortunately for the pair of you, you went rogue, and were captured by Kortac."

At that announcement the room went deadly silent and the door opened revealing two people. The most intimidating looking man stepped through the door, ducking his head automatically as he entered. Cold blue eyes stared out from behind a sniper hood. The man stood at six foot ten, the tallest person I had ever seen. The scent radiating from him was gunpowder and authority. His cologne was a woodsy scent combined with a hint of smoke. His eyes flicked around the room as he stood casually, confident in being the biggest man in the room. His eyes found me, and he studied me just as I studied him. My eyes flicked to the other man. He was much shorter, looking tiny compared to the big man even though I knew he was about the same height as the men on 141. I was the smallest person in the room, and I knew compared to the giant man, I would look minuscule. The second man was covered head to toe too, in much more familiar military gear, only revealing slightly tilted brown eyes, his glasses sitting on his head casually. The camo mask he wore sat snugly on the bridge of his nose. Messy black hair completed his effortless intimidating playboy look. 

"Colonel König, Horangi." Captain Price greeted as they entered the room. 

Ghost looked at Price angrily, "We're you even going to discuss this before inviting them here?"

"Actually," A thick accent answered, "We were already on our way here. We had heard of this hybrid rumour, and suspected so had Shaista. We are after her for our own reasons, but your Captain has agreed our goals are aligned, and so he agreed with our plan to use the hybrid as bait." The man who had spoken was the taller man. I clocked his accent as sounding German, the dry gravelly tone of his voice leaving little room for the same banter and wit I used with the 141 boys. "You seem to be under the impression that the decision is yours, Ghost." I could detect a faint whiff of silent amusement. "Yet I have not heard her speak about the matter."

The her in question was clearly me. I glance at the big man, sensing Ghosts radiating disapproval next to me. I place a hand gently on Ghosts arm, a silent reminder that I am still by his side as I stand up, ears pricking and tail twitching. I walk casually towards the two men, silent with eyes on the pair of them. I stand in front the Colonel staring up at him with my neck craned.