Chapter 2

We both agreed to make a run for the gate that separated the rich from the outside world and I know for a fact that no one has ever been able to make it over without getting killed. Once we had finally made it to the gigantic wall that loomed over us I felt a lump form in my throat thinking about how scared my parents would be when they woke up to find a missing child in a pact of 3 children me being the youngest. But all of those thoughts vanished quickly when I thought of the new life I would be living under no one's authoritative rule.

The dictator James Salan who controlled the rich and the poor hated the young people who knew there was an outside world. So whenever I was randomly questioned I always played dumb just to keep myself safe.

As we climbed I could see the sun rising which meant that my plan of using the element of surprise had worked because by now we were long gone over the wall and no one knew anything about where we were. I was sure that after a while James Salan would give up and just send out guards with high end weapons to take care of us. But none of that mattered in my mind because did it really matter we were already long gone. I told Miranda that we had to trek through the woods until we could find a suitable place to camp out. She agreed with me which shocked me, even though we had different opinions we had somehow come to a agreement instead of bickering with each other.

For once I got to gaze at the beautiful nature outside of the dictatorship. Every moment looking at the green trees and the clean blue water made me think about the others, how would the others react if they were able to see this. I guess I must have stood frozen to the ground because then I heard someone saying my name and I snapped back to realize that Miranda had found a spot that we could stay at. While I walked my way through I slipped on a jagged rock that was slippery and my arm was in a lot of pain and when I turned to look at my arm I saw blood dripping down it. I almost felt like throwing up by the sight of me losing blood. Every time I looked down at the ground covered in light covered leaves I saw medium sized puddles of blood on the ground. I quickly ran towards Miranda Whist withering in pane she had no idea of what pain I was in. We didn't have any medical kits or any utensils that could stop the flow of blood in my body therefore we had to look at the ground to find anything that could rap around my with enough pressure to stop the blood from dripping down.

" Oh my god Robert! Are you okay what happened to you."

" No I'm not alright I think I need emergency help. It's a very serious injury."

" Ok just lye down I'm going to forge  in the forest to see if I can anything that can stop the bleeding. Don't do anything while I'm gone understand me?"

"Yeah I hear you, I can't really move that much so there's no reason to worry about me doing anything dumb.

Once Miranda left it was hard to move since I didn't want to have my temporary bandage fall off and my arm to continue bleeding. I felt the pain searing throughout my arm it felt like a bullet had struck my arm. It felt that as soon as we had reached freedom we were right back to rock bottom hitting a new challenge every step we took. I didn't realize how much of a challenge this was going to be with a partner. I heard sticks snapping and I looked in the direction I had heard it come from. When I saw a little glimpse of something that looked like gold blonde I felt my body freeze for a split second with thoughts that it could be one of the soldiers who was searching the woods and followed a pattern of blood. Then I saw a gun I quickly hid behind a log and put my mouth to mute myself from breathing. Since I only saw the color of the weapon I couldn't tell whether it was a semiautomatic gun or a pistol. I followed my instincts to just stay lying on the ground until the sound receded away out of ears distance after that I would look up to see if he was gone.My heart was thumping and my body  was sweating uncontrollably. Where was Miranda? Did she know that they down here, what if they were at the marshes. I heard someone call up from the marshes. He described the shirt to be maybe a girls. A deep sense of hysterical breathing I couldn't contain myself from screaming out under a log drenched in rain water. I heard the loading of a gun.

The person's footsteps only seemed to inch closer and closer towards the log. Until unexpectedly a voice from out of the distance. I could barely hear make out what they were saying. All I really understood was a couple of footsteps going down the path towards a path where there was an abundance of vegetation and fruits. Once the footsteps started to deafly be out of earshot I sprang up onto my feet and sped my way through down the path that was right across from the path the two soldiers had taken occasionally stopping and climbing up trees to reach for food. One lesson that I had learned and etched into my brain was that if you wanted to survive out in the wilderness always look over your shoulder and to leave no trace of yourself behind for other people to find you if not to get caught and killed.