Chapter 8

Miranda POV:
There out of the corner of my eye was hair that was hard to not mistake for Robert. Dark blonde hair ruffled up jumbled like he had been shocked by something. I walked over there stumbling in the heels that I had been forced to wear when I hit a boy and hit the floor. The person walked away without helping me up. I felt embarrassed as I got up and could feel the pain from the fall spreading throughout my body. Someone with black hair the same as mine lended out her hand as if offering to help me around this foreign place. Her eyes sparkled with a glimmer that hypnotized me. She pulled away as someone walked over, is that Robert? He changed a lot since I last saw him.

" Hi what's your name? Do you know anywhere where I can stay and maybe get some help?" I asked keeping a smile on my face.

" Oh uhh I'm John what is yours?"

" I'm Lily nice to meet you! Want to go shopping?" She seem energetic about something but I could not seem to put my finger on it. She whisked me away before I could talk to her brother. Lily was kind, beautiful, and cute? What did I say?!? I thought I liked boys yet being around Lily made everything around me freeze in time. Her aurora it mesmerized me. John was jogging after us stopping every five steps to catch his breath. He didn't see very athletic when he introduced himself to me and this proved my theory correct. I diverted my eyes towards a shop that was selling extravagant and expensive things. The rich and wealthy annoyed me because of the way they treat the poor. I phased out of the real world and let these horrible thoughts circulate through my mind and I began to have a panic attack. My palms began to have sweat dripping from every single part of my body and my heart skipped a few beats before someone shook me and hugged me then did I begin to calm down.

" Miranda! Are you okay? Please tell me you're okay." The voice sounded familiar but also like a stranger was talking to me.

Two days later...

It had been days since the panic attack scare and I longed to see Lily as the pain began to weight me down. I couldn't explain these feelings that I had for Lily it felt romantic but also forbidden from happening. It was obvious that she didn't feel the same way about me which broke my heart into a million pieces knowing that I could never tell her how I truly felt about her. John gave me confused looks whenever I smiled and blushed at Lily. Waiting for them to leave school wasn't a hassle but I did see something peculiar from where I was sitting on the tree. Is that Robert? It couldn't be he had changed everything about himself. I tapped him on the shoulder mustering the best confused look and voice I could deceiving him.

" Do you know where I can find somewhere to buy something while waiting for someone special." Oh my god I had messed up, gone off script and he would certainly know it was me.

" Is a hello too much to ask for these days? It seems like everyone just wants to- Oh hello there what would you like for me to do."

" Oh nothing I was talking with someone else. That matter does not matter to you.

We walked for a while as I started to introduce myself constantly reminding myself of my fake name. It weighed me down with guilt overtaking my conscience. I rarely smiled when we were talking. My life had become miserable I desperately wanted to kiss Lily but school always interfered or she had plans already. I always told her that it was okay when it hurt me the most.

Lily POV:
Staring out of the window waiting for the dreadful school day to end felt like an eternity all I wanted to do was to hang out with Miranda she was truly more than a friend to me and I loved her but I felt scared and embarrassed if I came out to my parents or if she denied me. I never felt this way about a girl like I do for Miranda. I decided that during lunch I would come up with the perfect idea to ask out Miranda. I knew it had to be perfect for her because in my eyes that is exactly what I thought of her. An idea popped into my head and an interesting one at that. I would ask her to meet me by the lake where we usually hung out and would then express my feelings and kiss her in the dark with Robert and my brother watching so no one would yell at us because of how late it would be. My day dreaming was cut short by the teacher banging my desk demanding to know why I wasn't paying any attention in the class. I stared at her the words didn't come out of my mouth and I muttered "I don't know why miss. I think the material is a bit confusing." She responded by slapping me across the face calling me a delinquent girl with no smarts. Everyone had their eyes on me looking for any answer but I ran out of the room my eyes tearing up wanting, no needing someone to vent to about the situation. My friends mocked me and laughed at me for being a fool and idiot. I just wanted to be in my own world where I would be all but myself with Miranda.

That night:
It was around 9:30 PM and I reached for the window with all my power and slid out making sure not to make any noise. Once I got far away to the point where they could not hear anything I bolted for the lake like my life depended on it. I hoped that Miranda showed up. I had to hold onto that hope. I reached the lake and looked around for any sign of a person being there but was disappointed with me being the only one. While sitting by the edge of the river moping in defeat I hear a twig snap behind me. Ready to defend myself I grab a stick and fling it around.

"Show yourself creep! I am not afraid of you. I have a stick and I will use it!" I screamed.

Slowly out of the dark a figure who looked like a girl came out of the shadows and I don't know what came over me but I ran into her arms.

" Woah. Are you okay? Lily why did you want me to meet you down here all alone. Is something wrong?" She asked me a serious concern in that beautiful voice that instantly soothed me like how a mother sooths her baby to sleep.

" No, I just want to do something with you if it's okay with you of course. I understand if you don't want to-'' I was cut off by Miranda whose gaze caught my eye.
"Oh um... yeah sure of course oh and by the way what do you want do with me?" She asked me as she blushed confused and dazed from waking up so late.
" This is what I want to do" I grabbed her by the collar of her shirt and kissed her on the lips. Her arms wrapped around my neck and my hands were wrapped around her waist. Everything in the moment was going exactly how I wanted it till Robert showed up. Damn I forgot to mention to him about Miranda.

" Hey Lily what are you doing down here I though we were going down to the dock to fish?"
We quickly separated before he could see us making out. How I wished he hadn't shown up because Miranda seemed to be uncomfortable and walked away.
We walked up towards where the major amazing buildings were and I grabbed and squeezed Miranda's hand hard.

My brother showed up saving the night as Robert and he went into a bar. We continued to where I lived and I snuck her through the window where we made out.

Robert POV:
" Who's that girl that Lily was hanging out with? Is she new here. I hope she realizes not to hurt Lily otherwise she will have to through me."

" Robert she's a close friend, One of her closet. What you don't understand is that Lily is very socially awkward and she doesn't like people that glare at her."
" She never told me this? Why does she feel this way-" Before I could continue someone from behind smashed a beer bottle over my head and the impact mad me feel woozy as the blood dripped from my head and the assailants took me outside. That's all I remember before waking up back inside, no it can't be. I was shackled to the wall with many eyes watching with excitement. I let my eyes look around with wonder. The entire city looked like the one back home that we escaped. Voices came from behind a door where two guards stood with weapons that had sharpened edges ready to stab me. Fear sprang into my mind and the thought of not getting out was the only thing on my mind.
"For the crimes of leaving this town you are prosecuted for the death sentence. You are allowed a last meal before you die. Use it wisely,Robert." A voice said from the corner of the room. I pulled at the shackles wanting to wake up from the nightmare but everything seemed so real.
This red substance started to drip from my ankles and hands. My screams became louder and more painful for people to hear. Salan I believe walked away as his two guards aimed their guns directly at my head their hands seconds from pulling the trigger. My stomach crunched into a knot.

This was his plan all the time, to torture me until my last breath. All he ever wanted to see me tortured for ruining his plans.
An announcement came from above me. I blocked it out of my head wanting peace and quiet for the last few minutes of life I had instead of being in a frenzy terrified. Rustling noises came from above which brought me back to reality and my eyes darted above looking for the source of the noise.

"Robert! Up here. Don't worry I'll be down there in a minute."

" Matthew?!? What are you doing here don't you realize that this is a suicide mission. Run and get out of here before the-"

The exact same alarm as before went off. I had no
time to piece the parts of the puzzle together as Matthew dragged me down towards the sewage pipe and just as we reached safety someone or something rather latched onto my hand pulling me back. " Robert! Come on hurry up before they find out you've escaped!" Desperately whispered to me by Matthew.
"I can't something is literally holding me from going forward with you. I can't move my arms or legs."

My grip on Matthew's hand started to slip and gradually my body started to inch away from the vent. Matthew stared at me pain stuck in those innocent eyes never expecting to see the pain that I was subjected to.