WORTH ALL THE TROUBLE

t w o

_________

_________

THE drive felt endless, as the California backroads all seemed to meld into one blob of trees and mountains until they finally passed that "Welcome to Woodsboro" sign.

Jamie imagined it felt like a bad omen whenever her mother saw it, like it was her final chance to turn around and never look back.

Sometimes she wonders why she didn't. They all do, quietly. But she guessed her mom never really felt safe anywhere else, so might as well go back home, right?"

She doesn't get much time to consider this thought as, after a couple of turns, she was hitting the gravel in the Carpenter driveway.

"Wake up, we're here," she taps Alex, who frowns through a yawn as she spots Tara's house in the periphery.

"I thought you were gonna wake me when it was my turn," she stretches as they get out of the car, realizing she'd slept nearly the entire ride.

Guess all those sleepless nights agonizing over homework or planning this trip had more of an effect than she thought.

"We were, but we didn't think it was necessary," she shrugs. "Looked like you needed the rest."

The brunette crosses her arms, evaluating her siblings' expressions for another reason as to why they wouldn't put her behind the wheel, quickly finding one.

"I swear I'm a good driver," she gasps as she realizes. "I have the license to prove it."

"You want to be and that is almost as good," Eli teases.

It was true, her driving was not for a lack of effort. She never missed a red light, forgot to turn on her blinkers, or got distracted while driving. She just could not for the life of her relax at the wheel, leading to many close calls and near heart attacks for her passengers.

"Whatever," she rolls her eyes, handing him her bag.

Jamie does the same, and the three walk up the Carpenter driveway, knocking on the door.

It opens almost immediately, followed by a tight hug from Tara for Jamie and Alex.

"Oh, it's been too long," she squeezes them, before making reluctant eye contact with Eli.

"Don't try it," he jokes.

"You wish," she scoffs, letting them in. "Everyone's here, so you can go bother someone else."

With that, she drags Jamie and Alex to Sam's room, where they'd be staying, carelessly pointing to the guest room for Eli.

"Always a pleasure, Carpenter," he remarks with an eye roll, bringing their bags upstairs before meeting up with Chad, Liv, and Wes in the living room.