CATCH A KILLER

t e n

_______

_______

SEVERAL hours later, Alexandra was still sitting in the hospital waiting room, this time alongside Gale.

"I'm so sorry," Alex shakes her head. "If I had made it up there just five seconds earlier..."

"Don't do that. Thinking like that will kill you," Gale shakes her head.

"But still-"

"Alexandra, it's not your fault," she assures. "You went back, that's a hell of a lot more than most people would do. It's what your mom would've done."

A part of Alex warms at that, making her look down.

"We shouldn't have even come," she brings her knees up to her chest.

"Now that I agree with," she chuckles weakly. "But I don't blame you. Running away is easier said than done."

"Yeah," Alex wipes her eyes. "I guess I was just being naive."

Gale goes to say something else when Sam approaches, hesitancy written on her face.

"I'm sorry," she starts. "I didn't know him well, but he helped me."

"That's what he did. He helped people. I should've stopped him," she shakes her head.

"If you had, my sister would be dead."

"Samantha, your sister's awake," a nurse calls out, practically rubbing salt into the wound for Gale.

Sidney then walks into the lobby, immediately spotting the women in the waiting room.

"Aunt Sid," Alex stands, allowing the woman to engulf her in a hug.

"Hey, Lexi," she sighs in relief at the fact that she was okay, making eye contact with Gale.

They hug next, Sidney trying her best to comfort her. "I came as soon as I heard. I'm so sorry."

"You shouldn't be here," Gale pulls away.

"You shouldn't be here either," she responds before turning to Alex. "You definitely shouldn't be here."

"Mark and the kids okay?"

"Yeah, they're safe for now. I'm here to make sure of that," she smiles, before pulling them both into a hug. "Come here."

Alexandra could never really place why a hug from Sidney seemed to always ease her troubles. But she couldn't be more glad for it than she was now.

"I should go check on Eli," Alex blinks slowly, trying to wipe any lingering tears away.

"You want us to come with?"

"No, it's fine," she assures, preparing to go to the elevator.

However, as she approaches the doors, she feels her heart begin to race, and can practically hear herself sobbing on the ground. So instead, she takes the stairs.