KILLERS AND STARS

e i g h t

___________

___________

"YOU GUYS look awful," Ross jokes, teasing the three kids who by now had returned to the hotel to shower and come back.

"Oh, thank God," Alex hugs him tightly.

"How are you feeling?" Jamie asks.

"I've been worse. Leg's killing me though," he jokes. "Sorry. Not funny."

"No," Alex deadpans. "We're gonna go talk to Dewey. See if he-"

They all glance at her phone, alarmed by the quick ring of it as it lights up.

CHAD 🤞🏽

hey sam asked for you, eli and
jamie to come over to mine

ok still at the hospital
see you in a few

"Chad wants us to come over," she looks up. "Well, actually, Sam does."

"We should-"

"Go," Ross shakes his head. "You say Mindy's a verified film buff, right? I guarantee you she's gonna give a spiel about the rules."

"Rules? Dad, are we 5?" Jamie rolls her eyes.

"The rules aren't the important part. It'll give you a chance to really consider who's a suspect. And considering you'll all be together, it's better than if you stayed here in this creepy hospital," Ross assures.

"That means we have to leave you in the creepy hospital," Eli crosses his arms.

"How about this? You guys go, have your conversation, and come straight back."

"I'll stay," Eli volunteers. "I don't like your odds right now and I have a feeling the killer is gonna use the fact that all of us are gone to attack you."

"Okay. Fine. We need to talk anyway."

"Jamie, come on. Keys?" she glances at Eli, who tosses his car keys to her.

"Crash her and I'll kill you myself."

"Shut up," she holds up a middle finger, walking out of the room.

"What's wrong with Jamie?" Ross asks as soon as the door closes behind them.

"What?" Eli sits down.

"What's wrong with her? She's not all... bouncy."

"Nine hours ago, we thought you were gonna die. That tends to have a negative effect," he sarcastically remarks.

"Okay, smartass. You guys had an argument, didn't you? She had that "Alex yelled at me" look on her face. And don't pretend you don't know the look."

"Alex's voice doesn't go above a certain octave. She's like a mouse."