Chapter Six: Phoenix Rising

I wake up engulfed in warmth and the arms of a man I will call Husband and my children will call Father

I wake up engulfed in warmth and the arms of a man I will call Husband and my children will call Father. I sit up slowly and slip out of the surprisingly comfortable bed searching for some paper and a pencil. I quietly tiptoe towards the desk and open the first drawer to find a number of wooden pencils engraved in Latin with the small Azegeda symbol painted in white near the end. Grabbing one at random, I close the drawer and open the second one to find a stack of blank yellowed paper unevenly cut into elongated squares. I happily grabbed a handful before closing the drawer and running back to the bed, throwing myself under the covers like I used to when I was fifteen and the Ark got too cold. Roan laughs quietly, the sound a little hoarse and short, either from the early hour or because of disuse. The dangerous man beside me rolls to his side before grabbing a large tome engraved in Latin.

"Here, use this to beat down on."

I take it with a small smile. I arranged my bundle of papers in a haphazard stack on the bed before grabbing a clean sheet.

"Roan, if we're to be married I have a list of demands that must be met both personal and political and a list of things I'm willing and unwilling to contribute. I also have questions. I also want you to write down everything you want and expect from me, what you're willing and unwilling to give. I need to know how much or how little power I will have. I may have already agreed to be your wife, but do not think for one second I'm naive enough to not demand what I need from you. This is a transaction."

I watch his face as the man and the king meld together into one brutally beautiful human being. He nods solemnly, cerulean eyes sharp with wisdom and stark honesty.

"You will have everything you need."

My pencil scratches against the paper outlining my first list of demands.

Skaikru Demands (Political)

• Housing in Azegeda
• Job opportunities according to skill
• Trained by Azegeda specialists in each field
• Educated on Azegeda's history and culture
• Establish trading post
• Elect Heda and a mini council for remaining Skaikru
• Annual Checkup
• Holiday celebrations
• Encourage trade and peace w/ other kru allied to Azegeda
•Azegeda warriors train Skaikru warriors

Wanheda Demands (Political)

• Treated as your wife (not a political prisoner)
• Allowed to be part of Cabinet/political advisors
• Allowed to be a Healer/General Surgeon (with proper training by Skaikru's Master Healer, my mother)
• Educated in history/culture/government/politics
• Taught to fight
• Given diplomat training/abilities

Wife Demands
(Personal)

• I get final say with my children
• No ritual scarring for my children
• My mother is in charge of delivery
• Start being taught self defense at ten
• My children will have trustworthy guards at all times
• Educated by Skaikru and Azegeda
• In the event of our deaths, our children will be raised by Octavia Blake and Lincoln kom Trikru in Azegeda
• My children will be taught to respect tradition, but rely on reason and science

"What do you think?"

Roan reads over the papers I give him with an amused snort.

"You are very specific and detailed my queen. I have chosen well. My expectations are very simple. You will be my wife and be the mother of our children. You will not be my prisoner. The only person in Azegeda who can overrule you in any capacity is your king. We do not scar children in Azegeda, only adults. Your demands will be met. I only ask that the only person you take to your bed is me. I am not a cruel man, but I am fiercely jealous and possessive over what is mine. Your mind, your heart, and your body belong to me just as I belong to you in every way."

I stare into Roan's eyes and I see a man I could trust and learn to love. I smile on the cold morning air and put a small delicate hand on his much larger one covered in scars and callouses.

"In Skaikru culture we exchange rings to be married. I read once that it came from an old world tradition of the husband bring his bride-to-be a diamond ring to symbolize beauty and unity and the bride would bring her husband-to-be a ring of metal to symbolize eternity and loyalty."

Roan smiles then picks up both of my hands, staring at my fingers.

"And where would they wear these rings?"

I touch our left hands together before pointing to the digitus medicinalis or the fourth finger on our left hands.

"In Azegeda culture we get tattoos in white on the inside of the right wrist. In Azegeda there is no divorce. Marriage is sacred and a lifelong commitment only death can separate. Infidelity is a death sentence."

We stare into each other's eyes and I can't help, but feel as if this is the best decision I've made since my father died.