Chapter Five: Try Soccer

Hunter sat in the dirt. He was quite happy there. He wore a white tank top, army green cargo shorts and dangly earrings that looked like slices of grapefruit. He was watching the bugs crawl around at his feet. 

Hunter loved how ants worked together so seamlessly and that they communicated through pheromones. Why couldn't people communicate like that? Free of messy words, lies and exaggeration just truthful simple smells. He watched the fire ants climb over rocks and pebbles that formed a mountain. It's almost like in the Emperor's Coven when they... left us at the top of a mountain... He thought sadly about the once fond memory, now proof to the lies he was fed.

Behind him Luz popped out of the club house, just returning from school. Immediately she tackles him to the ground. "Luz, I'm going to get fire ants on me!" He shouted, half laughing beneath her. "I thought you looooooved them!" She retorted. "Not there bites!" Hunter shoved her off onto the fire ant covered ground next to him. "So, are ya going to school tomorrow Mano?" (Supposed to be short for brother in Spanish but also google said it meant hand so I just think I'm going to use it unless y'all know a more correct way)

Hunter had taken the day off, he had a tough weekend with the whole drinking thing and he was scared to face Willow and Apopis so Camila let him go back when he was ready. "I think... I think I am." He sighed burying his face in his hands. "Ah, you go it in the bag! You are going to rule the heck out of going into school!" 

...

"Ughhhh..." Hunter groaned as Luz dragged him by his feet, down the path towards Hexside. "Oh Willow! Help me lug this guy inside!" Luz shouted out as she saw their friend approach. Instantly Hunter scrambled upright "Hi! Hello! Willow!" He blushed, speaking a little too loudly as he brushed dirt out of his hair.

Willow rushed forward and embraced Hunter tightly. "Hunter, I've missed you! You've had me worried not responding to my texts or calls. I know stuff has been really tough for you and so I was concerned when Luz said that you might not be in this week and she couldn't share anything more." Hunter stood for a second shocked after Willow finished rambling. "I- I got- I got to go- Igottogotothe... um bathroom!" He shouted out before running away with his tail between his legs. 

                                                                                                  ... 

Hunter rushed down the hallways of the school, planning to just wait in potions till class started. That was the plan until he walked in the room to see Apopis sitting in his dark corner of the room. Panicked he dived out of the room and rushed to the bathroom which was also a very big mistake. Belos loomed in every mirror lining the wall. 

He couldn't take it, Hunter's knees gave out beneath him. The room went dark and next thing he knew he was looking up at the ceiling. Some how a kid got gum stuck up there... 

He was being dragged by two hands under his armpits into a stall. Once they were locked inside Apopis' face looked down at him "You a'ight? I found your pretty unconscious face on the bathroom floor." Hunter just stared back at him. Today was already a lot. "Want to go drinkin', and ya know play hooky?" With his words Apopis pulled out a bottle of tequila. "I know you like it strong!" "No." Hunter couldn't do this, not again! I have to leave! "I am leaving." And he did, he ran from the bathroom, ignoring Apopis' shouts after him. 

... 

The next few days went in a similar fashion. Hunter avoided Willow and Apopis once even diving around a corner to avoid being spotted only to crash in to the principal. But eventually Friday was over and Hunter sat beside Luz in their backyard. Suddenly Luz said in a mater of fact way "You should try soccer."