5

The only thing Liz could think was 'What the literal fuck?'

The only thing Liz could think was 'What the literal fuck?'. They had gone through the merchant THREE times with the drone and nothing. Absolutely nothing was inside! Liz hunched over on the table her hands running up and down her face in frustration.

"It's not there. Look, just-- bring the drone up." John B sighed. Liz looked up at him she couldn't explain the level of defeat she was feeling. She assumed by the look on John B's face that it was the same for him.

"Look, we can do another pass, recharge the battery. We can go back down." Pope tried to convince the Routledge's.

John B walked to stern leaning over the railing. Liz also walked away from the monitor, sitting on the floor with her back against the wall.

"Guy's we've been through it three times. There's nothing there." JJ yelled to his friends.

"Shut up!" Pope and Kie yelled at the same time.

"What? It's true!" JJ defended.

"The gold could be buried. We don't know." Kie yelled over the wind.

"If it was there, it would've been found on the metal detector, okay?" John B shut them up.

"Somebody beat us to it," Liz added.

"Or it was never there," JJ muttered but Liz still heard it. She was too lost in her mind to fight him on it. In silence, the Pogues drove back to Heyward's dock. They all went their separate ways. The siblings drove in the HMS Pogue back to the Chateau in silence.

Liz walked into the house after John B with her head hung low. He grabbed a box of cereal as she started taking off her shoes.

"Hey guys." A voice dryly spoke up from the couch. The siblings turned around to see the lady from DCS sitting on their couch casually. Liz rolled her eyes crossing her arms. She wasn't in the mood for this bullshit right now.

"You know, Cheryl, It's kind of a bad time for a check-in." John B walked over to the table putting his stuff down. Liz followed him feeling uncomfortable with the situation.

"Not a check-in. We're here to take you guys." Cheryl shrugged. Liz bit her lip holding back the long string of curses she had for the women. John B plopped down at the table. Liz tried to act as natural as possible like her brother grabbing two bowls from the kitchen.

"Today? Really?" She asked, setting one of the bowls down in front of JB.

"It's just for a few weeks until your hearing." Cheryl leaned forward.

"No, no, no. Cheryl, look we're not going into foster care, okay?" John B groaned. "We're not going to go be a part of your little system."

A radio beeped behind them. Liz turned around looking up to see a police officer towering over her.

"Elizabeth, John B this is Deputy Thomas. He works with Juveniles for the sheriff's department." John B stood up grabbing his sister's hand, bringing her away from the man. "I know Uncle T is down in Mississippi working at a casino. He hasn't been here in months." Cheryl looked at the siblings in front of her.