Chapter 19

This chapter has been edited and revised as of posting. 

(edited 01/08/24 for minor mistakes)

~~~

I weave through the stacks of crates, trying my best to dodge the security bots roaming the area. I try to get to Gregory and Michael as quick as I can, carrying the dance pass in one hand and my work phone in the other. When they come into view, I see Michael crouched down and talking to Gregory. When he notices my approach, he quickly stands.

"Ok, before you say anything, this is what I have got." I flash them my phone to let them read it.

Once they are done, I flash them the dance pass: "I found it in one of the go-kart garages. I didn't know if it would be of help, but I grabbed it just in case. Now, what's the plan you guys have?" I tilt my head and place the pass in my back pocket. I watch as Gregory and Michael exchange a glance.

"I don't think you're going to be a big fan of the plan, but just hear us out." Michael walks to stand beside me, placing his arm around my shoulder.

"Why would I not like it?" I tilt my head to look up at him.

"So, Gregory isn't tall enough to drive the go-kart by himself, but that's not a problem. He can just use one of the driving assist bots. Gregory and I were thinking, If we get Roxy on the track, crashing into her could decommission her. We would be able to get the eyes, no problem. The only issue with this plan is that we need to repair the driving assist bot's head."

I quickly shove away from Michael, giving him a look that says, 'Are you insane?' standing back from both Gregory and him as they stand in front of me.

"So, you're telling me the genius idea you two came up with is one that will put Gregory in danger?" I watch as the two boys shrug.

"Oh my god, you two are actually insane. There is no way in hell Gregory is getting on that track. I'd say either me or you could do it, but anyone with a brain knows that's still dangerous."

"Here's two issues with one of us doing it. First, we are both too tall for the go-karts. Second, Roxy is more concerned about finding Gregory. She's not going to abandon her search to go after one of us when she knows Gregory is in the vicinity." Michael seems like he's starting to get impatient with the fact that I'm fighting them on this.

"Look, no, we aren't doing it! You even said yourself earlier that we couldn't take a risk. This is a major risk. So, I'm saying no." I cross my arms and send a nasty gaze Michael's way.

"I get it! I totally do! Unfortunately for you, Gregory and I both say yes to the plan. That's two to one." He's completely unaffected by my gaze.

"Gregory doesn't get a say in this; he's a kid!"

Gregory quickly jumps into the conversation. "Hey! I can make my own decisions, plus I'm the one doing it, so I do get a say."

"You're supposed to be on my side! I'm the one taking you in!" I stare, offended by Gregory.

"See! He's completely ok with it." Michael places his hand on my shoulder, offering some comfort. "If it makes you feel better, we will both be on the bridges above. I'll stop by a security office on the way back from repairing the bot's head to grab another stun gun. That way, if things don't go as planned, we will have a backup plan."

I let out an agitated breath. "Fine, but just because I'm agreeing doesn't mean I won't stop looking for another way."

"Perfect! We will just need a pass to get into the west arcade. That's where the nearest repair station is, right?"