October 1975 (2)

"I got yeh summat! Every groundskeeper should have one

"I got yeh summat! Every groundskeeper should have one."

Petunia stared at the squirming bundle of black fur and gigantic paws in Hagrid's hands.

"Hagrid." Her voice sounded flat to her own ears. "Is that a puppy?"

"'Course! Look at my Fang, once he's all grown he'll help me around here. An' he needs a companion, righ'? So I got yeh one as well."

That was all nice and well but ... "Why does it have three heads?"

There was a short pause when one of said heads yawned widely, showing a pink tongue and small white teeth.

"All the better, I'd say! One can bark, one can track an' one can bite, all at the same time."

As if it had taken Hagrid's words as an encouragement, the left head stretched up to clamp viciously at the space between Hagrid's thumb and pointer finger, sharp teeth gnawing furiously at the man's thick skin.

"His name is Fluffy."

Of course it is.

It seemed that the mysterious magic that cleaned Petunia's rooms was also capable of restoring things. To date, it had taken care of two gnawed-on bed posts, a shattered mirror and too many ripped-up cushions to count.

"You're a proper hellion," Petunia scolded the perpetrator, knowing it was useless. Only one head was paying her even the slightest attention, the other two were busy nipping at each other.

"If you continue like this, I'm going to cut our walk short today."

At the word 'walk' all heads lifted, black eyes gleaming with interest.

Petunia huffed. This devil incarnate didn't deserve her mirth – Hagrid had said all heads would be useful for something, but all they did until now was growling and biting, either at each other, her or innocent furniture.

Why or how he had found this creature instead of a normal dog remained a mystery until yesterday when Hagrid confessed during their shared breakfast that he might have been drunk when a fellow sold it to him at the pub.

Clipping a sturdy leather leash, ringed with pale teeth indentations, onto the collar of the middle head, Petunia led Fluffy from her rooms, making her way down the terrifying staircases that always seemed to move at the most inconvenient moments.

Or leave her stranded.

"This castle has to be one giant joke," she told Fluffy while watching the connecting staircase she had intended to take float away from her. His only answer was a renewed effort to chew through his leash.

And then, as if the universe was playing an even greater trick on her, she watched as another stairway docked onto her platform – leading directly to the person she had done her best to avoid.