October 1975 (4)

Petunia thought about going to Dumbledore

Petunia thought about going to Dumbledore. She remembered his grandfatherly demeanour, his eccentric clothing and twinkling eyes – and she remembered the easy lies he told in front of the council, the way he used Mr. Fudge's admiration to his own advantage without even twitching a strand of his ridiculous beard.

Petunia thought about going to Lily. About confronting this side of her sister, the popular witch with elaborate hairdos and a group of friends, the one that greeted her with a smile but never lingered for any conversation except some late evenings alone in Petunia's chambers.

Petunia thought about writing to Eugene, about letting her worries and fears spill out of her in loops of sprawling ink, only to run up to the owlery and realise she had no idea where to send them.

Then Petunia thought about Hagrid. They had never talked about anything serious other than the magical creatures and how he preferred his breakfast eggs. Despite being gruff, he always seemed open and honest and maybe he would be able to tell her more about the situation, as someone who was also obviously an outsider. But therein laid the problem – he didn't have authority in the castle nor an insight into the social machinations. He was almost like a hermit, living in his little hut and not interacting with anyone except Petunia, the creatures and on some evenings when he made small talk with other teachers, stilted and grasping too-small cups between his gigantic fingers.

For one insane second Petunia even thought of the wretched boy.

And immediately discarded the thought, but apparently Severus shared some characteristics with the devil – think his name and he shall appear.

"What does Potter want from you?"

Her heart stuttered somewhere in her chest as Petunia whirled around, one hand instinctively shielding her throat, maybe so he wouldn't notice the way her pulse was jumping against the pale skin there.

"You – what are you doing here?"

Severus looked around in a quick dismissive glance, as if it was completely normal to ambush her in a dark corridor after everyone had already disappeared into their common rooms before his hooded eyes refocused on her, ignoring her question.

"Tell me."

Petunia ignored him in turn. "So you do attend this school, seeing as you're sneaking around like some kind of spectre. Almost could have fooled me – haven't seen you since getting off that train."

"Why is Potter talking to you?"

If there was a personification for a one-track mind ...

Petunia yielded, though without any grace. She was startled, tired, her mind had turned brittle and crumbled at the edges like a cake left out too long ever since she had realised how precarious her position here was. And she really didn't have the fire necessary to keep her anger alive and hot after days of it kindling out.

"The same reason you do, Severus. Find out why Lily is bothered by me and then punish me for complicating her life."

Obsidian eyes turned even darker. "Punish? How?"

"By pestering me."

Something in the tense line of his shoulders uncurled only to firm up in offence a second later.

"I'm not pestering you."

Petunia just looked at him. How dense was he?

"I'm not here because of Lily," he corrected himself after a beat of uncomfortable stillness.

"No, you're here because of Potter."

Silence reigned for a few seconds before he glanced around and started walking off, without any further words.

"Hey!"

He whirled around. "What?"

Yes, what?

"Stop ignoring what I'm saying."

"Then say something worthwhile."

Oh, you little ... "What's the matter with you?"

"Nothing."

"Nothing? I haven't seen hide nor hair off you since I've come here, not even around Lily!"

"So?"

"So, usually you're following her around like a – something's up!"

An emotion flashed across his face, something dark and twisted. "None of your business."

"Why did you come talk to me then? I wasn't the one ambushing you after dark!"

"No reason."

"Nonsense."

"Just wanted to see what Potter ..."

"I don't care about Potter!"

He scoffed. "But you care about me?"

Petunia froze.

No ... of course she didn't. She was just overwrought, a bit too tense after days of thinking about the silent threat she had been made aware of, the filter between her thoughts and her mouth skewed into a strange direction because it was late and he had surprised her.

"I care about Lily," she finally settled on. "And your moods usually have something to do with her."

"Well, not this time. So keep your pointy nose out of my matters and leave me the hell alone."

"Fine! Don't lie in wait for me in dark corridors then!"

"Won't ever happen again," he bit out and stalked off, the robe of his school uniform flaring behind him like some strange black cape. Only at the end of the corridor did his steps falter, slowing until he looked back one last time.

"I mean it. Don't come looking for me and, whatever you do, never talk to me."

Petunia wanted to throw an insult at the back of his head but he had already disappeared around the corner, his steps echoing strangely from the domed stone walls.

It was only as she stepped back into her room, leaving the letter to Eugene on her desk and getting ready for bed, that Petunia remembered the words of that blasted James Potter.

Remember our dear pal Snivellus? His House is a bit, well, touchy when it comes to magical lineages ...

Why the hell had she even talked to him? Severus was part of the problem – had some naive, stupid part of her really thought that she could turn to him for help?

And since when had she come to think of him as someone who would help?

Angry at herself and the situation, Petunia ripped her brush through her hair with more force than necessary, relishing the sting on her sensitive scalp.

Just because he was the reason her trial went well didn't mean that she could forget that he was also the reason it had even taken place.

Whatever you do, never talk to me.

"Don't worry," Petunia hissed into the darkness of her chamber. "It won't ever happen again."

Did anyone actually miss Severus? Just curious ^^