November 1975 (1)

Winter creeped across Hogwarts and the grounds in small, silent whispers

 Winter creeped across Hogwarts and the grounds in small, silent whispers. Branches laid bare where before they had been clothed in the most vibrant shades of orange, gold and red, a few snowflakes that melted before they even hit the ground and a cutting wind that hurt the lungs when breathed in and left a taste of frost on everyone's lips.

Petunia slid another blanket across a smooth, high back, the stool underneath her feet wobbling dangerously while Sepulchria nosed at her pockets, hoping for a treat. Hagrid didn't even have to lift his arms above mid-waist to drape the giant skeletal horses in their winter gear, hefting the blankets as if they didn't weigh more than a piece of tissue.

The tranquil melody of hooves scraping through frost-hardened dirt, huffing breaths escaping slitted nostril and branches rustling against each other was interrupted by Fluffy's incessant, high-pitched barking, all three heads focused on the darkness between the dense trees with raised hackles. Fang, Hagrid's boarhound puppy, on the other hand was huddled behind the tree trunk both dogs had been tied to, quiet and small.

"Must be smellin' the werewolves. Got 'im all riled up, the little thing," Hagrid mused while glancing at Fluffy. "Spirited, ain't he?"

Petunia nodded, her thoughts wandering back to the strange feeling itching at the back of her neck. She felt watched.

"What's botherin' yeh?"

Petunia looked up from smoothing the blanket for the third time, feeling caught. "Nothing important."

"Ah, that's not nothin'. What is it? Fluffy givin' yeh trouble? If he's too much bother, I'll let 'im off inter the forest, he'll learn manners there, sure as shootin'."

"No, Fluffy is fine." Petunia ran her teeth over her lip, catching on a piece of dry skin. A small sting and the taste of copper lingering on her tongue as she dabbed it against the spot was all that remained a second later. "I'm just ... The students here. I'm not like them."

Hagrid shrugged, hefting a new blanket. "Ah, don't yeh worry, lass. 'Never be ashamed,' my ol' dad used ter say, 'there's some who'll hold it against you, but they're not worth botherin' with.'"

Petunia blinked as Hagrid pulled a flask from one of his multiple pockets, taking a pull and exhaling a plume smelling like smoke and rum. "Small man, me dad, could pick 'im up when I was six an' put 'im down wherever I wanted. But great mind."

Petunia wasn't sure what to say. It was the first time Hagrid had ever spoken about his family and something niggled at her to stay silent.

The big man patted the Thestrals' shoulder, his careful touch belying his size and strength. "He's the reason I can see 'em. Died when I was still in school. At least he wasn't there fer me expulsion."

"Expulsion?"

"Well, was a misunderstanding is all. Snapped me wand, though. Dumbledore salvaged wha' he could, lemme stay on as gamekeeper. Great man, Dumbledore. Saved you as well, didn' he?"

"What do you mean, a misunderstanding? You were expelled anyway?"

"Ah, was already a marvel tha' I could attend Hogwarts in the firs' place. Shoulda seen me dad's face when the letter arrived, never seen 'im so happy."

Petunia frowned. "Why?"

Hagrid mirrored her confusion, bushy brows drawing together to merge into one black, hairy caterpillar. "Far as I know I'm the firs' half-giant ter ever attend. Was a bit up in the air, I wager."

Everything paused. The Thestrals pawing at the smattering of leaves on the ground, Fluffy's energetic barking, the aroma of nuts and pine wafting through the air, the creaking woods and rasping branches. For just a second everything appeared still and silent.

And then came the memories. The screams. The wide-eyed faces, the pale and tear-stained cheeks.

The ground vibrating beneath her feet.

Hagrid was still talking. Petunia heard him faintly, as if her head had been pushed under water, filtering his deep voice into a rumbling backdrop.

There had been fog all around her, twisted silhouettes running and stumbling. She shouldn't have looked behind her. Her toe smarted with phantom pain.

But she had looked. And she had seen a monster.

A giant.

And now here was ... a half-giant. Close enough to touch her, to grab her head in one giant hand and crush it.

"Me Mum – well, she thought me a bit small. Left when I was three, barely remember her. Think she went back ter live with her tribe."

A shuddering breath reached her lungs, piercing in its intensity. There was a half-giant right next to her ... but it was Hagrid.
Hagrid, who shared his breakfast with her. Hagrid, who had given her a three-headed monster dog and decided to name it Fluffy. Hagrid, who had made her an ugly hat out of felt now that the months had turned colder. Hagrid, who had never said anything about the fact that Petunia wasn't waving a wand around like everyone else.

Petunia had to swallow against the bile creeping up her throat, against the fear clogging her windpipe.

She was fine. She was safe.

"Other students were a bit afraid o' me. But I was managing quite well, got some spells down and took care o' some creatures. Really glad Dumbledore allowed me ter stay here at Hogwarts. And' now I've a student of me own! Never woulda thought."

And then he beamed at Petunia, apple-checked and squint-eyed. Suddenly breathing was easier. Suddenly she didn't have to struggle to see Hagrid, her mentor and not Hagrid, the half-giant.

They were one and the same. And he didn't mean her any harm.

"You're a good teacher, Hagrid."

"You're makin' me blush, lass. Don't let those kids bother yeh – they never liked me much because I was different but I found friends here in the forest. There's always someone on your side if yeh only look fer 'em, even in unlikely places."

Petunia glanced around at the forest surrounding them, rough tree bark interspersed by green veins of climbing ivy and dark, rustling shadows. For just a second she imagined that she saw a pale flash of something moving in the thicket but it was gone before she could be sure.

Her eyes refocused on Hagrid as he outfitted the next Thestral, tugging straps tight so the blankets wouldn't slip off if the herd decided to go for a flight. Fluffy was throwing himself against his leash with a vengeance, small, furred body straining in eagerness to tear away and chase whatever phantoms he saw between the trees.

A small smile tugged at Petunia's lips, almost hidden by her scarf.

Unlikely places indeed.