Chapter 3

The neon light of Las Vegas blinked like an ominous promise in the warm desert evening. Despite growing up in LA, I had never taken a quick trip to Las Vegas. Not even with a fake ID the year I graduated high school. My first time really was with Jack for a little anniversary celebration.

"Vegas, baby!" Jack exclaimed with excitement when we first came onto the strip.

I laughed, a little nervous about what was to come. "Are you sure this is a good idea?"

"With you, it's always a good idea." He grinned and kissed me as a reassurance

"Alright, then, you lead the way."

We passed by glittering casinos, towering hotels, and the occasional impersonator – mainly Elvis impersonators. I couldn't help but feel a sense of adventure. I came prepared for whatever this night would have in store for us. Sure, I wore a mid length, black floral dress, but I also ditched the heels for flats. No matter what, I did not want to end the evening walking on painful bare feet.

Our first stop was a lively rooftop bar with panoramic views of the city. We went up using an elevator and had to go up stairs to finally make it outside. The bar was sophisticated yet energetic with its modern white couches and bright colourful lights. Jack took us to a corner table with an unobstructed view of the busy cityscape below.

I admired the breathtaking view. "This place is incredible. How did you find it?"

"I've been known to know my way around the party scene." Jack winked.

"I'm sure you do."

The cocktail menu had a variety of choices, each more tempting than the last. Things were more expensive than I would have liked to admit, but it was a special occasion, so I decided to look past it. So, I ended up getting a drink with a playful long name, which was a blend of tropical fruits and a splash of champagne, while Jack went for a classic whiskey.

We clinked our glasses when the drinks arrived, a buzz of anticipation already hanging in the air.

"Happy anniversary," I told him again.

"Happy anniversary." He smiled back. "I love you."

"I love you," I responded, biting my lower lip a little before taking my first sip.

The conversation flowed effortlessly as we finished our drinks and had two more. We reminisced about the year we had had, talked about tour stories, and discussed what would come next. It was strange to think about how this all started and how we had gotten here.

After our three drinks, we decided we were ready for our next stop: a swanky nightclub that played music so loudly that I could feel it vibrating through my bones. With alcohol already coursing through our veins, it took no time for us to have fun. We danced together, flowing with the rhythm of the music, as more drinks were poured. The colourful lights and other special effects made it impossible not to get lost in the moment.

Hours must have passed since we entered, each song making us lose track of more and more time. But we were broken out of our trance by hunger. Jumping around and drinking left us craving something greasy and unhealthy. So, we stumbled out of the club past all the smokers outside, and found something that tickled our fancy.

We found ourselves at a small fast food shop, sharing a large portion of cheese fries. As we sat there, the alcohol in our bodies making the world seem lopsided, we couldn't stop laughing. I tried feeding Jack the ultimate fry, accidentally smearing cheese all over his lips. He tried to return the favour, missing my mouth and hitting my nose instead. They were both valid attempts, but we were in no state to do this.

"Let's do something crazy," Jack suggested as he tried to wipe the cheese from my nose.

I raised an eyebrow, staring into his eyes. "Crazier than getting married by one of those Elvis impersonators on the street?"

"Okay, maybe not that crazy. But something fun."

And so our adventure continued. The outside words seemed like a blur, the bright neon lights now smudged like lipstick on a night out. Our steps were unsteady and laughter unruly. We managed to find some more drinks at a random bar, keeping our buzz going. We were fully intending on showing up back at All Time Low's tour bus that night, ready to pass out.

But our Las Vegas outing would not be complete without entering at least one casino. We were surrounded by loud slot machines and green felt tables. We weren't there to win, we were there to have fun. So, a blur of games with an unspecified amount of money was played. There was blackjack, poker, and even some rounds of roulette.

My luck quickly grew and my stack of chips grew steadily. It was all basic chance. Jack, on the other hand, decided he was more than content watching me enjoy myself and be my personal cheerleader. I had no clue what ended up happening with that money.

As the hours crept past three a.m., we found ourselves somewhere in a dimly lit corner of a lounge. A talented musician was playing some smooth tune on a shiny black grand piano, setting a romantic yet relaxed mood. It was something we needed after our hectic night so far.

We ordered more drinks than they should have probably given us, drinking them as we sat there and simply enjoyed each other's company. My legs were hanging over Jack's lap while he held tightly onto them. We were lost in each other's presence.

"I've never felt more in love with you than right now," Jack whispered into my ear.

I giggled, holding his chin with my thumb and forefinger as I went to whisper to him as well. "Me too."

I could barely follow the events of the night anymore when the bartender handed us one last drink. It was a dark purple concoction that glowed like liquid stardust. We tried clinking our glasses again, missing each other before sipping on the mysterious drink. It had a sweet yet tangy flavour.

I kissed Jack deeply, mixing the flavours in our mouths. To us, it felt just as intimate and loving as it usually did. From the outside, however, it must have looked like we were sucking each other's faces off.

And then the last few drinks I had hit me like a truck.