Chapter 7

Let me tell you how I ended up nearly passing out as I left the bathroom an hour before I was due to get up on stage. It all started just over a week after our adventurous Vegas trip. We still didn't know what exactly happened. The wedding was still a non existent memory for both of us, and other things were only pieced together by collective blurs of the night. And I was getting increasingly worried.

Not really worried about me and Jack. Or well, yes, but not as directly.

I stayed the night on Jack's bus, constantly switching between the van I shared with my band, and Jack's much more comfortable bunk. As much as I wanted to spend every waking second with Jack, I also couldn't neglect the people so generously performing with me every night.

That morning, I left their little bathroom, frustrated as hell and, frankly, a little scared. This is not the bathroom I almost passed out in. That would be a little later the same day.

I found Jack sitting alone in the back lounge, so I took my nerves and the chance to talk to him.

"Jack?" I mumbled as I let myself fall onto the couch next to him and lean into him.

"What?" He acknowledged in a soft and quiet tone, nuzzling his head against mine.

I took a deep breath in, fearing what would happen next. "My period's a week late."

I could feel his entire body tense beside me. And then he just stared straight ahead, his eyes wide.

I wasn't sure what to do, so in my nervous temper, I started to elaborate, "it was supposed to come just after Vegas, but it's been a week since then. I've been five days late before, but not a whole week."

Still, Jack didn't respond. He just continued to stare ahead. I wish I knew what was going through his mind. At least I could assume he knew what I was implying, or what I implied I was afraid of. Neither of us truly knew what happened in Vegas. It only made sense that we'd have sex after getting married. The timeline didn't exactly make sense, but it wasn't like our entire timeline was ever normal.

My nervous habit of talking continued. "Maybe now's a good time to talk about one of our discussion points."

"Probably." He looked white as a sheet, but at least a word came out of him.

I introduced the topic we had come up with in the car, "kids."

"Hmm."

"You want them?"

"Jacie..." he sighed, rubbing a hand over his face.

"Look, I'm fucking terrified right now and the only thing I can do is talk to you," I blurted out sternly with a glare.

He stayed silent for another moment and I was almost afraid I lost him there. This was possibly just too much of a shock to his system. First we got married, and now this? We didn't come on this tour to suddenly slingshot our relationship into oblivion.

But he finally collected his thoughts enough to talk to me, albeit slowly. "Jacie, I love you. And, yes, I do want kids, but..."

"Not now." I finished his sentence.

"Exactly."

Somehow I felt both relieved and even more scared. We felt the same way about that. But what if I was pregnant? What then?

"I already told you the thought scares the shit out of me. I didn't even want to consider it for another five years at least." I emphasised.

He nodded, his eyes briefly falling onto my stomach. "But you think you're... now."