Chapter 12

I was the only one left on the tour bus one afternoon. After spending the night in Jack's bunk again, I decided I needed a quiet moment away from all the chaos. The sun filtered through the heavily tinted windows, casting a warm glow on the couch I was sitting on. I was huddled up in a corner with my knees up to my chest. The bus was quiet when there was nobody around and the engine was switched off. But it was a welcome silence.

Almost all of my life, I had been an active social media user, sharing bits and pieces of my life, my music, and my friends. My first post on Instagram at the age of thirteen could still be found if you scrolled all the way down. It was a little diary. But since Jack and I had decided to go public with our relationship – well, mostly – I had been avoiding the comment section like the plague. I knew how harsh the internet could be and I didn't want it to drag me down.

But, that day, for some reason, I had this sudden urge to check it out. Maybe it was because I was having a lazy quiet morning, or maybe the curiosity became too strong. So, I opened the Instagram app and went straight to the 'notifications' tab.

The first few notifications were much like the old ones I was used to: people liking my photos, some comments about my music, and general questions. But as I continued to scroll, I started to regret my decision. They all seemed to focus on one thing: my relationship with Jack.

Isn't she a bit young for him?

I can't believe she's dating someone that much older.

One year anniversary? How old is she?

She's just with him for the fame.

The comments went on and on. All harsh and judgemental. Even my DM requests weren't any better. My heart sunk further and further as I read every single one of them. I had known that this would have likely been the reaction, that our relationship would have raised some eyebrows. But reading these comments stung more than I could have anticipated.

I opened a DM from Lilly, the fan I had met when I had surprised Jack at a show. At least she was well meaning and tried to warn me about all the negativity in the comments. She assured me that there were many people who supported us as well and told me not to let the haters get to me.

But it was hard. It took all the strength I didn't have to put my phone down. I knew I couldn't ignore my social media forever. This was going to have to happen someday. I just hadn't expected it to happen that day, even though it was my own fault that it did.

I considered turning my phone off, but got a message from Jack before I could do so, as if he knew something was up.

Jack: Hey, where you at?

I sighed and got up. As much as I would have liked to, I couldn't stay on the bus forever. I actually had responsibilities.

Me: Still on the bus, I'll be right there.

I stepped out into the cooler October air and made my way into the venue. Luckily, this venue was on the slightly smaller side. I could find the shared dressing room in no time. Inside, Jack and the rest of the band minus Zack were hanging out. They were having some kind of discussion quoting movies.

Jack's eyes lit up when he saw me. "Hey, there she is!"

His voice was warm and affectionate and he even shifted up to make some space on the couch next to him. But I just gave him a quick peck on the lips and walked past to grab myself a bottle of water from the table on the far end of the room.

"Everything alright?" Alex asked me, also noticing the low mood I was feeling.

I almost told them what idiotic thing I had done on the bus, but I held myself back. Instead, I nodded softly and gave a small smile.

Unveiling J.A.C.I.E. (All Time Low Fanfiction | Jack Barakat)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें