Chapter 15

"You ready?" I whispered, staring into his eyes.

He gave me a nod. "Never been more ready."

I carefully reached back and undid the clasp of the golden necklace that had been holding our secret for the past few weeks. The two intertwined rings dangled, ready to finally find their permanent address. They glistened in the soft glow of the bathroom we had hidden ourselves in for the last time.

Jack extended his hand, and I delicately let the rings drop from the chain and into his open palm. As I put the thin chain back around my neck, he played around with the rings with his thumb until they were both flat against his skin. I picked up the single gold band while Jack kept the one with the gemstone.

With a faint smile, he took hold of my left hand and slipped my ring onto my finger. It still fit as perfectly as the morning we bought it. Although I had spent more time not wearing it the past few weeks, it felt like it had always belonged and never left me.

As I put Jack's ring on his finger, our eyes locked. We had put on our rings in private before, but it felt different this time. Like we were finally up at the altar promising the world to each other. The vows were silent but just as passionate. Maybe we couldn't remember getting married, but we'd definitely remember this moment.

"It's time," Jack told me.

I grabbed him by the cheeks one last time, kissing him deeply. It was the missing puzzle piece to our love story. It was finally complete. Our lips lingered, savouring the last private moment of our little secret.

When we finally pulled away, I confessed, "I'm going to miss wearing a piece of you."

"But I'm going to love wearing a reminder of our love everywhere I go." He smiled and slipped my hand into his.

We left the bathroom, our fingers still intertwined and joined the rest of the band and some crew members outside. The venue we were at was in the middle of the city and we were going out to get some lunch. Nobody seemed to notice the significant moment that had just transpired between us.

We didn't let go of each other's hands throughout the entire walk to the location somebody had chosen. There was this sense of anticipation. I was waiting for somebody to see the rings and figure it all out on the spot. But everybody was too engrossed in themselves and the conversations they were having.

Which meant that Jack and I could tell them in our own time.

We were gathered around a few standing tables outside with a couple of drinks when Jack and I finally shared the look to tell each other it was now or never.

"Guys," Jack started, his voice standing out above all the chatter. Everybody stopped their individual conversations and looked at him. "There's something I– we have been meaning to tell you all."

My heart nearly started pounding out of my chest. This was it. It all came down to this single moment.

Jack didn't beat around the bush when all eyes were watching him with curiosity. "Jacie and I got married."

A stunned silence fell upon the group. The only sound came from the road behind us and other guests talking. Everybody just stared at us, blinking. I glanced around, trying to find any kind of reaction. All I was getting was confusion and astonishment.

After a beat, Alex was the first to find his voice. "Wait, did you say 'married'?"

Jack nodded, making eye contact with him to show how serious it was. "Yes. We're married."

Zack's gaze flickered between Jack's ring, my ring, and the necklace that was now on display as a simple chain again.

"When did this happen?" Alex continued to question.

"Vegas," I mumbled. I was on my way to accepting that we did this while blackout drunk, but I wasn't fully there yet.

"Shit, that's weeks ago!"

Rian looked offended. "You got married in Vegas and didn't invite us?"

Jack and I exchanged glances. The reactions were understandable. We just sprung this on them. It could only be overwhelming.

Jack leaned in, his expression earnest. "It wasn't exactly planned. We didn't even find out until the next morning."

"So it was a spur-of-the-moment thing?" Alex continued to analyse the situation.

"That's wild..." Zack contributed. But he was the first to soften up. "You guys seem happy, though."

Alex still seemed unsure about how to react. "Do you regret it?"

"Not for a second," I replied while Jack shook his head in agreement.

"Then why not tell us?"

"Because we had to figure out what it meant to us first."

"It's been a wild ride," Jack looked at me again and gave me a smile, "but it feels right."

We shared that moment together for a second. Saying it all out loud made it so real. We weren't just telling each other, we were telling the world. This marriage really was the happiest little accident. We were supposed to be here, bound to each other in a way we never could have expected.

"Well, congratulations!" Alex walked up to Jack with a big grin and gave him a big hug. "I'm just upset we didn't get to throw you an epic bachelor party."

"You can still throw one retroactively," I laughed, glad that the uncertainty had completely washed away.

Rian raised his glass and jokingly announced, "to the newly weds! May this tour not be your only honeymoon!"

The cheers and laughter that followed Rian's toast were filled with genuine happiness and excitement. Our confession may have been surprising at first, but everybody quickly came to accept it. It was clear everybody was genuinely happy for us and wanted to be nothing but supportive.

"I'm serious about that bachelor party, by the way," Alex pointed at Jack. "We've got some catching up to do."

Over time, the conversation shifted from our spontaneous marriage back to the topics people were discussing before. Revealing our secret felt liberating. Even just the small talk felt more genuine now. We could fully be ourselves out in the open.

It was nerve wracking and exciting to play our shows while wearing our rings for the first time. The diamond on my ring would capture and reflect the colourful bright lights, making me feel like I was sparkling in the dark room.

I felt a profound sense of happiness, knowing that our unconventional love story had found its own unique path, and I wouldn't change a thing about it.