𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝟿

Outskirts of Paanchaal, Battle Grounds

There was a moment of silence between both of us, with me fathoming his words. 

His words had ounces of truth in them, but somehow it was able to calm only a part of my raging heart in the flames of this uneasiness. Probably today, I may be pacified but what about the next day and the day after? Like this, my mind would sway and drift apart.....my fingers began to massage the bridge of my nose with my brows furrowed. 

Did what Bhrata Bheem said was true? About someone coming in my life who would draw me out from this dilemma? 

I didn't know......but even my heart refused to deny his words. 

There was a weird feeling that swirled within me, somewhere; it felt as if there was indeed someone who knew me more than I did myself.

"Better give some time to yourself, brother. Don't rush your mind right now behind all this." Bhrata Bheem wrapped an arm around my shoulder, stroking it comfortingly. I shut my eyes momentarily humming in response to him, breathing to calm myself down and rubbing my eyelids, "Everything will be in place slowly and steadily."

"Apologies, your highness!" My gaze snapped at the attendant who stood in front of us, bowing down his head in reverence, "But Mahaguru Dron wishes to meet urgently!" 

Guru Dron? Wishes to meet us, now? Bhrata Bheem appeared equally confused as he gazed back at me, "Now?"

"Indeed, my Lord!" 

Darkness had already fallen with the tapestries of celestials twinkling in the night sky, the moon in it's full bloom. Both of us strode through the camps hastily, the crowd that had accumulated on the outskirts gave it away. All the Kauravs along with Jyesth, Nakul and Sahadev had circled around Guru Dron. His scraggly beard was half hiding his facial features, but enough to convey that those were convulsed due to rage; his crimson eyes had turned a shade darker under the moonlight. 

There was an eerie silence that was following; which didn't seem like a good sign to me.

Did something happen? 

"Seven villages," I heard Gurudev's raspy and low voice, as we made our way through the gathering. Jyesth's eyes widened seeing me, he nodded a bit and signaled us to stand there, "Seven villages of Paanchaal has been ravished." 

Area of the inhabitants? 

He paused for a while to punctuate the fact. 

"How many times did I repeat not to attack the innocents?" Guru Dron was almost fuming by now, his hands behind the back as he scanned all of us, his gaze burning particularly through the Kauravs. Bhrata Duryodhan was clenching his jaws as he was glancing down, very well giving away that he wasn't regretting an ounce of it. 

Did the Kauravs just go and attack the inhabitants?!

What?!

"Duryodhan, look the heck at me! I am speaking to you!" Gurudev glowered at him losing his temper, pointing his forefinger, "What the hell do you think of yourself? Hmm?!"

"How many times did I tell you all?! That this war is between me and Drupad!" His eyes darkened due to rage as he scanned all of us thoroughly, "This war is between me and Drupad! Not with any, any resident of the Paanchaals! Didn't I tell you?!" 

"This is not to mess with the inhabitants of Paanchaal who have nothing to do with us!" 

"What do you think? Attacking the innocent residents is an act of bravery? Huh?!" He eyes raved furiously around us in exasperation, "Is this an act of bravery?!"

"Answer me, I am not talking to freaking statues!"

"So? So what? Paanchaal belongs to Drupad, doesn't it?" Bhrata Dushassan spoke up, gritting his teeth, "Attacking Drupad is equivalent to attacking Paanchaal! So what if a few lives of the inhabitants are lost?" 

My brows arched up hearing his words. Really? 

How....how much deteriorated can be his mentality for God's sake?!

How, just how can they even think of such a gruesome act?!  

"And that according to me is the best way of scaring Raaja Drupad!" One of the Kauravs added along, earning a positive response from the others, "Exactly! Let him see his subjects suffer and he will easily give away his-not his half but the entire Kingdom!"

"I do not see a fault in this!" Bhrata Dussah added along, making my boiling blood turn vapors by now. 

"Bhrata Dussah can you yourself hear what are you saying?" I tried my best to sound polite, but their words were fuming me. 

Don't they, don't they freaking value human lives? What is so wrong with them? 

"So? Now you will teach us how to fight?!" He shot back at me, clenching his fists, "Arjun, stay in your damn limits!"

"Dussah! How dare you?!" Bhrata Bheem glowered, gritting his teeth as he strode in front, "First you commit sins and dare raise your voice?!"

"Bheem!" Bhrata Duryodhan raised his forefinger, shivering in rage.  

"Stop!" Guru Dron reprimanded, his eyes blazing fire, "Stop I said!" He raised his palm, instantly halting the commotion. I lowered my eyes, stepping back as he furiously gazed at each one of us. And there was a layer of emotion I never wanted to witness in his eyes, there appeared to a hint of regret in them. 

Flashes of regret. 

He pinched the bridge of his nose after a while, breathing in, "You all can't stay together in a gathering, what will you fight in the battlefield?" 

"Gurudev, pardon us please! It's our first time in a battlefield, it won't happen afterwards." As usual, Jyesth strode forward with his humbleness and folded palms, lowering his head.

"I ask for forgiveness from all the Kauravs and their deeds. I am the eldest, it should be my responsibility to look after everything." Gurudev's stance softened gradually as he glanced at my eldest, yet his body language claimed he wasn't appeased; neither was I.

They are playing with lives.....how, how can they?

How can they even think of such heinousness is beyond my comprehension at times!

"Yudhishthir, please have a look out on the Kauravs. Please, I am trusting you with them." He coldly nodded, shaking his head. Jyesth curtly nodded, folded his arms in reverence. 

"Disperse, now. Arjun, stay back." My lashes fluttered at his command, as I strode over to his side, as the rest of them began to leave. 

★★★★★★★

A/N

I love when Guru Dron is angry (⁠◕⁠ᴗ⁠◕⁠✿⁠)

Signing off for today!

Kiritija Nushkie