Chapter 53 - Traitor

Shota Aizawa was not as lazy as people might think.

He spent his days teaching teenagers how to become respectable Heroes and most of his nights fighting crime.

Even then, when he had a rare afternoon off and could have used it to make up for a few hours of sacrificed sleep, Aizawa thought it best to see how his students' first training session went.

He knew Endeavor - an intimidating man whose motives for being a Hero were unclear - and expected Shoto to be at least as disturbing as he was.

In addition to the intimidating side he inherited from his father, the boy was far too much like his problematic nephew and seemed to lack a moral compass.

Endeavor, for all his faults, wasn't the type to lash out at others, even if they were the instigators.

Shoto, on the other hand, had not hesitated to act in the Bakugo incident and had not lowered himself to justify himself to his other ill-informed classmates who had witnessed the scene and thought he was some sort of delinquent.

He had no interest in the opinions of others and - as the brief notes from his college professors had stated - was motivated by nothing more than the exercise of his whims, however fleeting.

Aizawa also knew from an inside source that the boy was a troublemaker; his nephew was his best friend, and together with the other boy, they'd gotten themselves into countless complicated situations that would have gotten anyone else expelled and their school record tainted for life - the advantages of having wealthy, powerful parents, you might say.

All in all, Shoto Todoroki was an unusual teenager, very self-centered and with violent tendencies.

Slightly alarming, but not incriminating.

However, after seeing the first exercise live, Shota Aizawa became concerned.

The fact that he managed the exercise alone and effectively wasn't surprising, and it was even exactly what you'd expect from his personality. Shoto Todoroki, for all his originality, followed a logical and predictable pattern of action.

It was then that Aizawa had been upset: when the boy had faced Midorya, there had been something in his expression that had alarmed him.

The other had cried then and Aizawa had been confused by the impassive way Shoto had looked at him, not a trace of remorse in sight on his face.

Most disturbing of all was the fact that the camera's microphone that had been set up specifically for this room had been damaged, leaving Aizawa with the intuition that Shoto had done it voluntarily. He was also wearing a mask, so it wasn't possible to read his lips.

But what he had read on Midorya's lips worried him.

"Why are you doing this ?"

Aizawa had watched the games and juggled the records of the two students and came to the conclusion that it was almost impossible that they had known each other before.

They hadn't attended the same schools, lived in diametrically opposite places and (he hated himself for thinking it, even if it was true) didn't move in the same social circles.

All in all, the two boys shouldn't have known each other.

So either Shoto had simply decided to make Midorya his punching bag (which again didn't fit with what he knew about the boy whose interest in others was more than limited) or Aizawa was missing something.

And Shota Aizawa never missed anything.

So after watching the rest of the meeting (Monoma had been surprisingly good at copying Bakugo's Quirk from the beginning, blowing up the entrances to the building and thus preventing the Heroes from entering), the teacher returned to his room and waited, correcting some final year papers to pass the time.