Chapter 15

Note of the author : The professors at S and W are supposed to speak both japanese and english (as english is an international language) for they want to be understood by each of their students. As you are here reading the english version of this story, I'll just put the supposed 'english' part in italics – do not mistake it as some kind of 'repetition' that I forgot to erase while correcting my text.

*

These guys are crazy.

"Everybody is all warmed up? Everybody is all warmed up?"

The ten or so kids in my class nodded, breathing hard. I had expected them to give up on the third lap, crying that it was too hard, but no: they chewed their way through the exercise without so much as a whimper.

The instructor clapped his hands.

"Good! All right! I want everybody to sit in a circle. We're going to do presentations. Circle up, we're going to do presentations today"

Since most of the students were from abroad, the teachers had no choice but to adapt so that everyone could understand the instructions. I got used to it quickly: my brain hardly responded to English anymore.

"Who wants to start ?"

I was at the crescent end of our semicircle. The teacher pointed to himself with his thumb.

"I am Mizuki-sensei, your certified close combat instructor. In my class, you will learn to defend yourself and run away from potential attackers until help arrives"

He pointed to the first student to his left.

"Your name, why you are at this school and if you have an alter that is useful for your survival"

The boy had blond hair and dull blue eyes.

"Patrick Bate. My aunt thinks I should learn to defend myself since I was almost kidnapped. No useful Alter"

The teacher didn't seem the least bit surprised to hear that a four-year-old had been kidnapped. He smiled at him and then translated for everyone.

A small blonde continued.

"Valentina Legdara. Assassination attempt. Telekinesis"

The next boy continued in broken Japanese.

"Genma Shiranui. Uh, hostage situation ? No useful Alter"

The following presentations were no different. None of them were there to be heroes. The most surprising thing was that almost none of them had a useful Alter.

The teacher turned out to be a gifted polyglot. He could speak Russian, French, English, Turkish, Chinese, Spanish, and, of course, Japanese.

From the ease with which he was able to switch from one language to the other, I suspected that it was due to his Alter.

He pointed at me with his chin.

"Your turn"

"Shoto Todoroki. Fire and ice"

"Two Quirks, not common"

He gave me the same smile he gave to everyone else.
The two English twins to my left stirred.

"I saw him last week. His father is the number two of Japan"

"He's the only one who didn't say why he was here. Probably because nothing serious has happened to him"

"Only a matter of time"

Mizuki clapped his hands to get our attention.

"Now that we know each other a little better, let's start with our exercises. Who has knowledge of martial arts ?"