Chapter 76

The oasis looked like a nature park in the middle of the desert, with trees as tall as skyscrapers and vines scattered here and there on their branches.

Pink and purple flowers curled around the trunks like leeches, their pistils covered with bee-like insects, but not exactly the same.

Birds soared high into the trees, their silhouettes visible only as they passed in front of the sun. The air was filled with the scent of fresh, sweet fruit.

Bakugo whistled in admiration.

- Yuei really has the resources

- Nezu, I corrected absentmindedly

My eyes followed two colorful feathered birds as they flew from tree to tree, squabbling.

- How is it possible ? Between the giant robots at the entrance exam, the USJ, and the half dozen other training grounds in Yuei... isn't the hill where the school is supposed to be located also private?

- The opposite would have surprised me. Considering that the principal is considered the most intelligent being in the world... with a brain like that, I see no reason why he shouldn't be a multi-billionaire.

If I remember correctly, Nezu holds the historical record of being number 1 on the Forbes list of the 400 richest people in the world for 22 years straight.

My grandmother still pays to be taken off the lists, but I know that even if we "own" Italy we're still a long way from Nezu and his 298 billion.
This explainedwhy studying at Yuei (uniforms and teachers included) was free.

- Well, Katchan

I sat down on a moss-covered tree trunk and crossed my fingers in my lap.

- Why don't you and I have a little chat ?

He eyed me warily.

- Talk ? About what ?

- About the reason for our exercise, why we were attacked at the USJ, and everything that's going to happen from now on.

I'd had time to think during the trip, and I'd made up my mind: if Nezu decided to play me, I was screwed.

Assuming he had the video, he could ruin me socially and reveal my little secrets to absolutely everyone - enough to fuck me deep and crooked - but even with that, he could never win against me.

He may have been the smartest bug that ever walked this earth, but he didn't know what I was capable of: all I needed was ink, parchment, and clones, and I could burn this country to the ground and he couldn't do a thing about it.
Fuinjutsu, truly the most OP thing since the invention of chakra.

But I wasn't sure if he wanted to play aginstme: what I did know was that the whole situation was meant to test me. He wanted to see where my loyalties lay, to see if I was a threat. In my opinion, he must have had all my therapist's files, and he knew that if we were talking about morality alone, I had no business being in the heroic course.

Which, by the way, explained the situation I found myself in.

'Is Shoto Todoroki a threat that's best dealt with now, or can we afford to keep him on our side ?'

I didn't see any reason not to brush it off : the enemy at the end of the game was All for One.

Who knows whether the little genius will come in handy against the final boss...

-... you know you're acting really weird ?

I sighed.

I turned my attention to the sun and estimated how long it would take the fastest idiots to reach the oasis.