Chapter 62

To say I was excited was an understatement - in fact, I was euphoric. The parameters for what I called the Great Yuei Games had all been met: it was only a matter of time before my supreme work of destroying the canon came to fruition.

Okay, it wouldn't affect the whole story, but it would ruin all the original storylines in that arc.

Especially since, as I recall, the original Shoto had been one of the main protagonists of this arc before fading into the background as a sort of semi-secondary character, leaving all the screen time to Izuku and Bakugo in later seasons.

While I didn't want to give the green-haired loser even a fraction of a second of screen time, I wasn't against giving Bakugo second place.

I'd had time to think about it lately, and I actually didn't find him all that unbearable. I looked at the boy who was sitting on the floor to my left.

"Why are you staring at me ?" he grumbled, glaring at me with a look that neither warmed nor chilled me.

"I'd kick your ass in hand-to-hand combat morning, noon, and night," I replied flatly.

Kirishima, who was stretched out in front of me, froze when he heard me.

"Say that again, you stupid bastard," Bakugo snapped and stood up.

I stood up and faced him.

"I propose to referee the match," Monoma breathed between two stretches.

"There will be no-"

"Someone has to make sure that the teacher doesn't come back," I called. "Denki, go"

"Huh?" the boy shouted in surprise. "What do I have I got to do it ?"

"If you don't go, I'll give Midnight all the photos you secretly took of her and hid under your desk"

He shot like an arrow toward the gym entrance.

"Clear !" he shouted.

Bakugo looked at Denki, Monoma and then at me in surprise.

I hunched my shoulders and jumped like a boxer about to enter the ring.

"You're chickening out," I said.

Bakugo bent his legs and raised his fists to his face.

So predictable.

"As if"

Bakugo threw himself forward, sending me a punch so telegraphed that I had no trouble dodging it. I took the opportunity to shift on the side and retaliated with a kick to his head.

Bakugo rolled backwards before rising to his knees, spitting blood without taking his eyes off me.

"Are we playing or fighting ?" I taunted. "We both know you can do better than that"

He frowned and the game resumed.

*

It was D-day for Shoto.

He'd had trouble falling asleep the night before, tossing and turning in bed as the excitement made him shiver.

His father had given him a few worried looks when he saw the famous spasms that ran through his left hand at noon.

"Are you all right, Shoto ?" he asked.

"Of course"

And the boy's smile was not the least bit reassuring.

Enji decided to ignore his son and his Machiavellian plans to ease his conscience, hoping that he wouldn't regret his decision later.

Shoto spent the rest of the morning in an almost feverish state until Present Mic invited him to the stage to begin the opening speech of the first year tournament.