Us and Them

Authors Note : Kuma backstory hit like a brick 😭😭😭

Mogadishu, Somalia.

Marshall D Teach had been so close to establishing his 'Blackbeard Kingdom' in the New World, until everything just... vanished. "So, where exactly is this?" He asked a couple of Somali pirates, who had their guns pointed at him.

"Wallahi (I swear to Allah) he thinks he's a pirate." One of the Somali said, trying to get a laugh out of his comrades, who were just silent.

Nobody laughed.

Blackbeard then repeated himself, "Where is this? Are we in the grand line?" Jesus Burgess, the crew's helmsman, was about to throw the nastiest haymaker he had ever thrown.

The Somali pirates were loading their guns. Blackbeard was still confused, he hadn't ever seen a gun so advanced before. "ZEHAHAHA... oh well, good chat I guess." He grinned before using his quake fruit to pound the ground, causing the Somali pirates to instantly get knocked out. Slowly walking over towards them, he saw what seemed to be their leader approaching.

"And what is all of this commot-" he was stopped when Blackbeard used his Darkness fruit, shouting, "VORTEX!", to drag him right to his hand.

Before he could react, Blackbeard knocked him out with a coated Haki punch. "Weak."

He looked over the hill where the leader had ran down from, and saw what seemed to be village people running towards him. "Captain should I-" Van Augur had already drawn his rifle, ready to mow down the seemingly unruly crowd. "No." Teach cut him off, putting on his best charismatic face to try and sway over these strangers.

"HE IS OUR SAVIOR! MASHALLAH (Allah has willed it) WE ARE SAVED!" One of the villagers cried, before the rest of them started cheering. A teenager approached Teach, sporting raggedy clothes and sandals, "can I join you guys?"

His mind flooded with the memory of him asking old man Whitebeard to join his crew. He quickly snapped out of it and looked back at the boy.

"One question." Teach said, to which the teenager replied, "Yes?"

"What is your favorite food?" He gave him a stone cold stare, but the teenager was still confused. "Uhmm... cherry pie?" Blackbeard's face instantly grew to a soft smile. "I LOVE CHERRY PIE!", Teach shouted, to which the villagers and the teenager were startled, before they started laughing. "What's your name then?"

"Najee. I- I don't know my last name." The teenager said, mumbling the last part.

"Newgate. That's your last name now. Najee Newgate." Blackbeard said, reminiscing when old Edward Newgate took him on the Whitebeard Pirates.

After a few hours of getting to know the locals, Blackbeard learned a couple of things. Firstly, Najee Newgate was seventeen years old, and his people were practically enslaved to the pirates who he had just wiped out. Secondly, before being enslaved to the pirates, the villagers were refugees of a war that was fought over oil rights in the Persian Gulf. Not that he understood any of the last part, but he was quickly growing fond of the people here. Not to mention their love for cherry pie, which was formed when the American soldiers sent to fight here would share their desserts with them.

"Alhamdulillah (Praise be to Allah)! Marshall D. Teach! Alhamdulillah! Marshall D. Teach! Alhamdulillah! Marshall D. Teach!" The villagers chanted, dancing around a campfire.

"So, if this is the capital of the country, then why isn't it glamorous and beautiful?" Teach asked, curious as to why he was the one to liberate them. "Well... the hero system is based on popularity, and you don't get any more famous for helping us out here in Somalia. Especially after we were overrun by pirates." Najee stated, with everyone, including the Blackbeard Pirates, nodding in agreement. The story vaguely reminded Blackbeard of the story old man Whitebeard used to tell him and the crew back in the day, about how Sphynx wasn't really all too wealthy, so they couldn't pay the heavenly tribute. As a result, they were impoverished. As Doc Q was healing some of the villagers on horseback, one of them yelled out something. "HEY WHATS THAT BIG ICE ROAD?"