To our new friend

{Tessia Eralith}

Walking down the long, busy main street of Xyrus city I could both see the usual excitement of the city with people walking all around while loudly chattering and the underlying tension in the city.

Despite the general liveliness that seemed to be intrinsic to the floating city, it was clear that people were more anxious than usual, especially merchants and noblemen.

It had become a common occurrence to see them walking around surrounded by a dozen armored guards while constantly looking over their shoulders to make sure that no one was following them.

Not that it mattered that much since I could have easily trailed them from a safe distance or disposed of the entire group in about a minute if I wanted to. Which was exactly why those people were so worried in the first place, despite the fact that I never attacked them in such a fashion.

I had mostly limited myself to sending out threats or playing bully to force them into doing what I wanted. Which was mostly about being at least somewhat decent people and abiding by the law.

In fact, most of my work should really be considered of public utility judging from how many scammers, outright thieves and rights abusers I had caught red handed and revealed to the public. Now I understand why the popular classes of Dicathen were so passive during the war.

If the guy who's spent his entire life stealing my incomes, stepping on my basic rights and looking down on me for being of "higher blood" suddenly came to beg me for my assistance, I'd probably raise my middle finger to his face.

The only kingdom that was exempt from this rule and where the citizens immediately started the war effort was in Elenoir. This was probably thanks to the fact that we weren't being complete jerks to each other and didn't see nobility as a primary factor of your identity.

Not that some didn't have their own over inflated egos, but we were elves first, nobles or commoners second.

Either way, to get back to the main topic, I had been slowly making my way toward the Xyrus city adventurer hall where I would take my ranking test to get attributed a corresponding adventurer level.

I obviously couldn't reveal my full strength, even if seeing the instructor's face turn pale in disbelief might be a bit fun. I would have to downplay my skills quite a bit, but getting something around A or B rank would be a good start.

Walking through the large, opened reinforced double doors that were mostly for show, I arrived in the guild hall. The room had a rather welcoming architecture with plain oak wood and simple designs for its wall and furniture. Between the two large rows of benches on either side, the counter on the left side, the double staircase at the end of the room leading to the second floor, neither felt imposing. It was rather refreshing to see a building of this size not used as a place to flex the owner's wealth, but to actually fulfill its purpose.

Moving to the back of the small queue in front of the counter I waited for my turn while eyeing the entrance, waiting for Arthur to show up with Jasmine.

-I'd like to take the adventurer rank test." I started as I arrived at the counter with a firm but not confrontational tone.

-Are you already registered with the guild?" Asked the ginger woman wearing a pair of small glasses and the formal, yet rather bright adventurer guild staff outfit.

-Not yet." I answered with a confident half smile.

Visibly not amused by my response, the woman simply took out a piece of paper from a draw and handed it to me.

-Pleaser fill this form and give it to me once it's done." She said with a business smile.

-Very well, thank you." I answered as I grabbed the piece of paper and sat down on a nearby table before taking out a pen from my dimensional ring, which had a few adventurers give me a weirded outlook.