Chapter 36 - Debts Unpaid

Chapter 36

Debts Unpaid

The final lap was a foregone conclusion. As the final dolphin fell Pons and Cyn hugged each other with Nestor in the middle.Together they shouted their delight. Even the last blue chariot managed to pull ahead of the final surviving green car to take third place for a clean venetoi sweep. The chariots trotted a final circuit to allow their teams to cool down, picking their way around stretcher bearers coming out to tend to the injured charioteers, and attendants to clear the wrecked cars, and see which of the horses could be salvaged.

Cyn looked to the stands, but the noseless man was nowhere to be seen. Not bothering to watch the blue charioteer's final circuit - a victory lap come early - Stephen had slipped out to gather some ruffians, get to a nunnery, and enjoy his busy evening.

On the track hands were being shaken and backs slapped among the charioteers, leafy crowns were handed out and the competitors and team officials drew lots for position in the next races. Tomorrow looked to be unlikely as the low rolling thunder and the occasional speckle of rain promised that the track would be in no condition for a race.

Hands came at Nestor from the crowd to try and snatch Pon's cap where the coins were stashed. Shouldering, butting, shoving - Cyn struck one fellow who tried to grab at Nestor with such force the man went flying down several levels of stone seating to land in a groaning heap. This gave the others pause. Hands were retracted. Pons and Cyn walked with swaggers, facing down glares from men who had lost at betting. They returned to the main viewers entrance where a bleak Kosmas waited at his stall beseeching other bet makers for aid.

"You have something for me?"

"Please, a moment." Kosmas looked imploringly at his associates.

"I have this disk," Pons began again smiling politely, "which matches the one on the wall behind you and it tells me that the fifteen gold coins I wagered at two down for seven back means you owe me fifty-two whole pieces and a clipped one."

"But..."

"You mentioned that gold coins are rarely seen in quantity. I understand, so I will accept silver at the going rate. I will step under your awning for it is about to rain. Go. Speak with your comrades, make what arrangements you must."

After much discussion, cursing, promising, threatening, and other verbal interaction which Cyn was not able to follow, it fell out that the Greek betmaker and his cohorts were not able to make up the entire sum. They were short - not by much in the scope of the entire wager - five golden hyperpyron. Still a small fortune. What was to be done?

Pons offered trade. "Have you a slave? A wagon and a mule perhaps?" Downcast eyes. "Kosmas pays, yet Kosmas cannot pay. What are we to do? You do understand that a bet is not like buying a horse. At the end of a horse trade one man has a horse, the other coin. At the end of a wager one man has coin, the other nothing. And now you have five gold coins less than nothing."

The wind picked up. The rain was starting in earnest. A flash of lightning lit up the southern sky. Kosmas was dazzled by the light, but Pons leaned in closer to him. "I am willing to be reasonable. I will meet you here on the next race day. At this stall. You will pay me my five gold coins, or you will grant me as much credit on any wager I make." The terrific boom of thunder rolled, punctuating his words. "That is - if you are still a gambler - by profession - after tonight." With that the matter seemed to conclude, as far as Cyn could see.

Seemed.