Chapter 56 - Drop Dead Gorgeous Goes to the Dead Drop

Chapter 56

Drop Dead Gorgeous Goes to the Dead Drop

Mariapitkee woke with a thump when she fell off the raised cushion which served as the Emperor's bed and onto her bum on the floor. The Emperor's fretful sleep ended as he roared to wakefulness thrashing about as if escaping the confines of a wrestler's hold, scattering his concubines. The dawn was just breaking.

"What the? Where am I?"

"You are in your chambers, your majesty, all is well." Maraipitkee picked herself off the floor and took the Emperor's hand and forearm to help him sit up.

"Helena, I had the strangest dream. I..." A shudder passed over him. A tear glimmered at his eye. For a moment he looked so old. "Ahhh Sweetling, you are not Helena are you? Helena is long past. I can not pleasure you as I did her when arose from that Hades. No, not after your delightful flute playing last night. I have aged. I need the flesh of that small crocodilian creature to stir my loins. Then I can delight you morning and night."

Mariapitkee lowered her eyes and chastely kissed him on the cheek.

"You girls," he said to the other concubines, "Off with you. Tell the keeper of the inkstand to enter at once."

To Mariapitkee again, "My legs and shoulders ache, massage me while I dictate some orders and dispatches before the activities of the day chase the thoughts from my mind. I had such a vivid dream."

Andronikos flopped face down on the mattress. With tenderness yet strength Mariapitkee began to knead his thighs and calves. The chamberlain entered and set up his writing desk with its dog shaped stand, lay forth parchment, arranged inks, a quill, and fine sand, before a slight clearing of the throat to indicate he was prepared.

"First, any surviving children or grandchildren of John 'the Persian' Auxox need to be arrested, condemned and executed," Andronikos began. "Second, find out whatever has become of Demetrios (or was it Basil?) Patreneros, the former Papias here at the Blachernae Palace. He was not a bad sort and was competent, even though he allowed me to escape. Twice. It was not his fault he was forced to match wits with me armed only with brick walls, steel bars, and a cohort of Verangian guards. Competent men are needed. Perhaps invite him, or his brother, or both, for dinner. A position can be offered. If he accepts, fine. If he balks - arrested, condemned, executed."

Trying to be unnoticed, like a fly on the balcony balustrade or a bodyguard in the doorway, Mariapitkee continued to massage the Emperor's arms and shoulders. She listened for the things the Latin lord's servant had asked her to pay particular attention to, the movement of armies and fleets were of special interest. Nothing like that was being spoken of this morning. She hoped possible court appointments, lists of people to be killed, rumors, and trivia would be helpful. Once the Emperor waved her away she made her way out of the sleeping chamber and past the line of waiting attendants.

Although she and the other concubines were slaves and at the Emperor's beck and call, they had freedom of movement in both the palace and in the city. In the afternoon she would accompany him to the races, but for the morning she was left to her own devices. Returning to the quarters she shared at the palace with the other concubines she found both already back in bed trying to sleep as late as possible. She wanted to visit her sister Eyrienee at the house of Pandarus. On the way she would make her regular report. Walking out of the palace and past the appreciative eyes of the barbarians guarding the gate, she made her way down the city's second great boulevard. Stepping off the mese she wandered through side streets, and ducked down byways, and alleys. She paused a few times to look back to see if she was followed. No one.

As time passed her spying, which had at first thrilled her, was now starting to fall into a routine. At the first meeting her lord's servant (she still did not know their names) said they needed her to gather information to protect Emperor Alexios and cast off Emperor Andronikos. She threw herself into the young lord's arms and into the role. The thought that she could do something to stop the monster gave her hope for herself and her sister.

Mariapitkee held the lord's calloused but gentle hand as his servant, who had fair use of Greek, explained what they wanted her to discover and how they would communicate. While at the palace she was to report everything she overheard or saw to a child who would be begging every morning by the fountains in the Forum of Arcadius. To speak to them directly would be suspicious. The Latin servant impressed upon her that she should trust no one. Everyone was always watching everyone else at the court. They would only meet when she was sent out of the palace during her monthly cycle. Once Andronikos was dead, her master, Pandarus, would be paid out for both herself and her sister, and they would be free.

As always Mariapitkee found Maria and her little sister Anna singing for coins to the people waiting to fill their amphorae and buckets at the fountain. The girls smiled to see her and ran to her arms. Mariapitkee sat on the railing which ran around the fountain. Maria sat with her back to her and Mariapitkee began to braid the older girl's hair as Anna looked on. Mariapikee whispered her secrets. Maria had the best memory of all of Nestor's urchins.