Chapter Two

Lukar lay in his small bed, pretending to be asleep, his eyes fixed on the wall with his back to his parents. They sat at the table nearby, their hushed voices carrying a weight of seriousness. The undertones of their conversation signaled something of importance, though Lukar couldn't quite make out the words.

His father's reassuring tone reached his ears, followed by a soft murmur from his mother. Their words held a soothing quality, an assurance that everything would be fine, despite the unknown nature of their conversation. Lukar felt a surge of comfort listening to their voices, even if he couldn't understand the details.

As he heard them rise from their seats and the soft shuffle of their movements, Lukar quickly closed his eyes, feigning slumber. He felt his mother lean over and plant a gentle kiss on his forehead, a token of her love. Then, his father followed suit, and Lukar, his heart filled with warmth and love, savored this tender moment as he continued to pretend to sleep, reassured by the presence of his caring parents.

Lukar basked in the warmth of his parents' affection, the night remained calm and still, wrapping the village in a cocoon of serenity. The only sounds were those of distant laughter and the gentle rustle of the wind outside. The soft, rhythmic creaking of the house seemed to lull him into a sense of security.

But then, in an instant, the tranquility shattered. The night was torn asunder by a deafening roar, an explosive cacophony that echoed through the village. The walls trembled, and the ground seemed to quake beneath him. Lukar's eyes shot open, and he instinctively sat up in bed, his heart pounding with fear as the ominous sounds of chaos, shouts, and the clash of steel reached his ears.

Amid the cacophony of chaos and fear that enveloped their home, Lukar's parents rushed to the window, their faces etched with dread as they peered outside. Lukar watched, his young heart pounding, as his mother's expression froze with fear. Anxious and unable to make sense of the tumult, Lukar asked, "What's happening, Mom?"

His father, his normally steady demeanor strained, began frantically checking the corners of the house, his eyes darting around. Lukar's voice quivered as he asked once more, "What's happening?" His father's stern look cut through the tension, prompting Lukar to fall silent.

His mother, tears shimmering in her eyes, crouched down and held Lukar close to her. She muttered prayers under her breath, seeking solace and protection in a time of uncertainty.

Lukar's father, his face a mask of determination, emerged from the kitchen with a tall wicker basket that was typically used for laundry. He instructed Lukar to get inside the basket, but Lukar, his confusion mounting, couldn't help but ask again, "Dad, what's going on?"

His father's stern expression deepened, and he uttered in a low voice, "Lukar, stop asking questions and obey." The abruptness of his father's tone startled Lukar, and he watched as his father's features softened. Kneeling in front of his son, he pressed their foreheads together and whispered, "You are a strong warrior of Anodis."

Lukar's attention was momentarily drawn away by the thunderous sounds of fire and soldiers outside, but his father's grip on the back of his head brought him back. "You are a strong warrior of Anodis," his father repeated, his voice filled with conviction.

Without another moment to spare, his father gently pulled Lukar out of his mother's trembling arms. Her cries echoed in Lukar's mind, haunting him as his father shut the lid of the laundry basket, concealing Lukar beside the other baskets. He hoped that the intruders would mistake them for laundry and leave them untouched.

Outside, the night had become a nightmarish symphony of chaos. The village was engulfed in flames, their fierce crackling and the roar of the fire echoing like a relentless beast unleashed upon their homes. The acrid scent of burning wood and thatch filled the air, choking and suffocating. Torches, carried by menacing figures on horseback, cast long, menacing shadows that danced with malevolence against the walls.