II - Overpainted

The girls went to the cafeteria and sat at a table, unaware that this was only the start of a blossoming friendship.

"Here, Minji sit beside me!" Hanni said with a soft smile

"Thanks, but I'll go grab some food first." Minji said with a smile while walking away.

"Yet another unsuccessful attempt at flirting with Minji?" Danielle chuckled

"Dani stop!! It's not like I was flirting with her...I don't even like her." Hanni pouted

"Whatever." Danielle rolled her eyes, then turned to Haerin, peacefully eating lunch.

"Sorry about that. Haerin, what brings you here?" Danielle asked softly.

Haerin looked startled not expecting anyone to talk to her.

"My brother and I moved here from Busan after our parents passed away." Haerin avoided eye contact and focused on her food as she spoke.

Danielle looked concerned as she responded, "Oh, I'm sorry to hear that."

Haerin avoided eye contact, "It's fine, I've learned to accept it."

Danielle was dumbfounded at the statement, how could one accept their parents' death? she asked herself. It seemed like an impossible feat to Danielle.

Yunjin changed the subject, saying "I bumped into Miss Winter in the hallway, we had a quick chat, she's really nice."

Hyein exclaimed, "Did you guys know that Sunghoon is in our class? He's so dreamy!" she exclaimed while resting her head on the palm of her hand.

Sunghoon has been Hyein's crush since they were in the 4th grade.

Yunjin complained, "Why do you always bring up Sunghoon?"

Danielle shook her head in agreement with Yunjin.

Danielle never really understood why people could hold crushes for so long, she never understood how people could wait for someone that long. She's never experienced it, sure. But she never believed in that type of thing.

"Hey! It's hard to lose feelings for someone if you've liked them for that long!" Hyein protested

Yunjin rolled her eyes at the response "Just confess to him, you've liked him for so long."

"I can't" Hyein replied with a mouthful of food

"Why? What's holding you back? He might like you too, I mean you never know.." Hanni asked.

Danielle sat quietly listening to what Hyein had to say.

If you've liked someone for that long, you'd want to tell them right? Danielle mumbled to herself.

"Well, I don't want to ruin our friendship just because I like him. Besides crushing on him, we're also really good friends." Hyein said with sadness in her eyes

"But what if he likes you back?" Danielle asked Hyein, wanting an answer

"Well, what if he doesn't?" Hyein replied making eye contact with Danielle

Before Danielle could answer, Minji walked up to the table with a tray of food.

"Jesus! The line was so long! But the food is worth the wait." Minji exclaimed while sitting down beside Hanni, Hanni's cheeks slowly forming a blush

"Here do you want a taste?" Minji asked Hanni as she held out a piece of her food

"Sure..." Hanni replied nervously