Chapter 4

(Val's POV)

The path is not as dark and eerie as before. The sun shines down on us and many colorful flowers are scattered around the grass. I'm actually very relieved we don't have to go through that incident with the thistles again.

Like before, I follow Clank and Bobble above the wagon. Tink is in her usual spot next to Bobble. And this time, Manic chose to fly instead of sit in the back with the supplies.

Bobble looks through a list, reading off where some supplies need to be delivered. "Right. Here we are. A pretty large order of pollen pots for the..."

Out of nowhere, a fairy flies by at high speeds, creating a small wind tornado in the dirt. She takes the wind up into a flower to collect the pollen.

I immediately recognized her as Vidia, the fast-flying fairy. So I sigh to myself in annoyance while looking somewhere else.

"Who's that?" Manic asks as he hovers beside me.

I glance at Manic before looking back at the fast-flying fairy. "That's Vidia. She's pretty much a show-off and thinks she's better than everyone. So I'd be careful around her if I were you."

Manic nods as he stares at Vidia in silence.

Looking over at Tinkerbell, I can tell she is amazed by what Vidia is doing. "Is it okay if I just catch up with you later?" she asks Bobble, who reads through his list.

"Oh, I suppose," Bobble responds.

Tinkerbell immediately flies into the air and goes to find Vidia in the garden of flowers.

"Can you find your way back?" Clank calls out to her.

Tinkerbell doesn't give us a glance and says, "Yeah, yeah. Sure I can. You coming too, Manic?"

Manic perks up when Tinkerbell mentions his name. "Yeah, I'll tag along," he says before following after her.

"Be careful, you two! Don't get lost!" I say before going along the path with Clank and Bobble. I take the spot Tinkerbell was sitting in earlier before saying, "Do you think they'll be okay?"

"Oh, I'm sure they will," Bobble says reassuringly, still looking through his list.

(Manic's POV)

I follow my sister over the tall grass until we find the fairy from earlier. She hovers just over the ground and slowly lowers her small tornado of pollen toward a few acorn-made buckets.

I decide to wait a distance away so that she can finish what she's doing. But Tinkerbell thinks otherwise and approaches her.

"Hi there!" Tinkerbell says.

The fairy gasps from being startled and the pollen flies everywhere. The wind from the tornado also pushes the buckets away.

"Sorry," Tinkerbell mutters while looking down at the mess.

I sigh and facepalm. But regardless, I fly over and hover beside my sister. "You're Vidia, right?" I ask, trying to make small talk.

The fairy, Vidia, sneezes from the pollen and glares in our direction. Without a word, she flies back up to a nearby flower and creates another small tornado. It collects the pollen and rises out of the flower carefully.

Thinking that this is probably bad timing to talk to Vidia, especially after what Val said, I look over at Tinkerbell to say something. But what surprises me is that she's not there anymore.

Tinkerbell is, instead, near Vidia again. "We didn't officially meet. I'm Tinkerbell. And that's my brother, Manic, over there."

Being included in the conversation, I have no choice but to fly over. I do so and hover next to Tinkerbell once again.

Vidia rolls her eyes and turns to face us, still spinning her tornado in the air. "Oh, yes. The new faires."

Tinkerbell perks up. "That's right! So, what's your talent?"

Yeah, I should have asked Val what Vidia's talent was before we left. But still, what she's doing looks interesting.

Vidia glances at the small tornado next to her before looking back at us. "What do you think it is?"

I shrug as I stare at the tornado.

Tinkerbell puts a finger to her chin and thinks for a few seconds. "You're a pollen-izer?"

The tornado disappears and Vidia lifts an eyebrow, unamused with that answer.

Not certain what her talent is, Tinkerbell still tries to guess. "Pollen-ator? Pollen-picker? Pollen-plucker?"

"I am a fast-flying fairy, a true rare talent," Vidia says, putting a hand to her chest. "And this is but a small part of what I do." She creates a breeze that blows through the flowers very casually. "I make breezes in the summer, blow down leaves in the fall. My winds even brought you two here."

She turns around and continues to praise herself for what she does. "Faires of every talent depend on me."

I tilt my head in thought. "Isn't that what we do as well?"

Vidia seems taken aback by what I said and looks at us. "Excuse me?"

Tinkerbell nods, agreeing with me. "Yeah, tinkers help fairies of every talent, too. So we're kind of the same, you know?"

It's quiet for a few seconds before Vidia puts an arm on Tinkerbell's and my shoulder. "Sweeties, I make forces of nature. You make pots and kettles. I work up in the sky, and you work down in a ditch."

"Hey," Tinkerbell says, seeming offended by that.

I do too. Mostly because I don't see why Vidia has to act this way.

Vidia raises her hands up in defense. "Don't get me wrong. Being a tinker is really swell and all, but I wouldn't go around bragging about your talent. It's not like spring depends on you." She slowly flies off after patting TInkerbell's cheek.

"Of course it does! And when we go to the mainland, we'll prove just how important we are," Tinkerbell says angrily.

"When who goes to the mainland?" Vidia asks, stopping abruptly.

"Me and Tinkerbell, obviously," I say, backing up my sister.

"Oh, of course. You'll prove it, huh?" Vidia asks as if it were a challenge.

"Yes, we will," Tinkerbell replies.

"Well, I, for one, am looking forward to that. Excuse me," Vidia gives us a fake smile before flying off.

"No. Excuse me," Tinkerbell says before turning away from her and flying in the other direction.

I glare in Vidia's direction before following Tinkerbell. I don't know where we're going, just as long as it's away from that fast-flying fairy.