Chapter 6

(Third Person POV)

With the stars twinkling up in the sky, all the fairies of Pixie Hollow are setting up for the Queen's review for spring.

The Minister of Spring occasionally instructed where to put everything as the fairies brought in their supplies. "Splendid, splendid. Stack those neatly, plenty of time before the Queen arrives," he says calmly.

"It's the Queen!" A fairy urgently.

The Minister of Spring starts to freak out at the sudden news. "What? She's here? Now?" He then turns to the few fairies standing by with their musical instruments. "Play, music fairies."

The fairies do as he says and play their instruments. Everyone else stands side by side with their supplies and waits for the Queen to arrive.

Flying over are the Ministers of Fall, Summer, and Winter. Pixie dust flies behind the three and Queen Clarion appears.

The Minister of Spring flies beside the Queen and greets her. "Queen Clarion, your illustriousness! As Minister of Spring, I welcome you to Springtime Square."

Queen Clarion looks around in a calm-like manner. "What? No fireworks, Minister?"

The Minister of Spring starts to tense up. "Oh, well, yeah, that could be arranged. Light fairies! Light fairies!" He says this while clapping to get their attention.

Queen Clarion pats his shoulder to calm him down. "I'm teasing. You always make such a fuss, and everything turns out wonderfully.

Minister of Spring chuckles to himself at her flattery. He leads her to the spring flower that rests by the edge of the water. "Well, I think you'll find that we have things well in hand. When the Everblossom blooms, we'll be ready to bring spring to the mainland."

"Music to my ears," Queen Clarion says before flying over the many fairies. "I know you've all put in months of practice and preparation, but keep up the good work these last few days, because just as fairies--"

"Queen Clarion!" Tinkebell's voice erupts through the crowd.

The music stops and everyone turns to look where the voice came from.

Tinkerbell, along with Manic, walks by the many fairies. Beside them is Cheese pulling a wagon. "Queen Clarion! Did we miss anything?"

The Minister of Spring shakes his head, trying to dismiss the two. "No, no, no."

Tinkerbell sighs in relief and turns to the wagon. "Phew. Good."

The Minister of Spring goes to stop them, but Queen Clarion puts a hand in front of him, saying, "It's all right."

"Manic and I came up with some fantastic things for tinkers to use when we go to the mainland," Tinkerbell explains happily.

Clank, Bobble, and Val stare in surprise before glancing at each other in confusion. The other fairies mutter to themselves as well.

"Let us show you!" Manic says before grabbing a small contraption with two rocks, one on top and one on the bottom. The whole device is supported together by sticks and vines. "As you know, baby chipmunks can't eat whole nuts, right? It's because their teeth are not strong enough to chew." He grabs an acorn and places it between the two rocks. As he struggles a little to compress the rocks, he says, "You just crank back this lever, and..."

Not going as planned, the acorn flies out of the contraption, hitting a squirrel on the head. The squirrel sniffles quietly before walking away.

"Uh, sorry," Manic says to the squirrel before looking back at Queen Clarion. "It's still a work in progress."

"Yes, yes, yes. Very clever," The Minister of Spring says uninterested before snapping his fingers. That's when the music starts playing again.

But it stops abruptly when Tinkerbell says something. "But not to worry. We made this, too. It's a flower sprayer," she says before pulling out the device from the wagon.

"Tinkerbell..." Queen Clarion tries to say.

"Here, allow me to demonstrate," Tinkerbell says. She pulls a lever and the device starts to spray purple paint.

Unfortunately, the pressure from the spraying pushes her back and she accidentally sprays the Minister of Spring. "Sorry," Tinkerbell mutters.

Manic steps in and says, "We have one more if you want to see it."

"Tinkerbell, Manic," Queen Clarion says. "Has no one explained?"

The siblings stare in confusion. "Explain what?" They ask at the same time.

"Tinker fairies don't go to the mainland, dears," Queen Clarion says."

"What?" Tinkerbell asks in surprise.

"All of those things are done by the nature-talent fairies. Your work is here in Pixie Hollow," Queen Clarion explains.

"But...I thought..." Manic says saddly.

"I'm sorry, Manic and Tinkerbell," Queen Clarion says apologetically.

Tinkerbell tries not to show her sadness and says, "Oh, okay. No. No, that's good. I mean, we really couldn't make it anyway. Right, Manic?"

Manic does the same thing and nods. "Yeah. That's fine. This is fine...We should go..."

Both Manic and Tinkerbell make their way past the crowd with Cheese following beside them.

From the sidelines, Val stares at them with a saddened expression, feeling bad for them. Same with Clank and Bobble.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back at the workshop, Tinkerbell and Manic sit at their table, their wings drooped down.

Humming a small tune, Fairy Mary flies by with a basket of supplies. "Back so soon?"

"You didn't go?" Tinkerbell asks.

"Goodness, no. Far too much work to do down here," Fairy Mary says as she places the supplies down on the shelves. She goes around the workshop moving stuff around very casually as the siblings sit quietly.

"Vidia was right. Being a tinker stinks," Tinkerbell mutters.

Fairy Mary stops what she's doing and faces them. "Excuse me?"

Manic sighs. "It's just that...we don't get to go to the mainland. It's not fair."

"The mainland?" Fairy Mary asks. "Who gives a pile of pebbles about the mainland?"

Tinkerbell turns in her seat. "But, Fairy Mary, the other fairies get to go."

"Now, Tinkerbell, you too Manic, are you garden fairies?" Fairy Mary asks.

"Well, no," Tinkerbell answers.

"Are you light fairies?"

"No," Manic says this time.

"Animal fairies? Water fairies, perhaps?"

"No," Tinkerbell and Manic say.

"No, you're not. You are tinkers. It's who you are. Be proud of it," Fairy Mary says before flying away. "The day you can magically make flowers grow, or capture the rays of the sun and whatnot, then you can go. Until then, your work is here." With that being said, Fairy Mary is no longer in sight.

Both of them sigh in thought. It's not until a few seconds that Tinkerbell and Manic perk up.

"Good idea, Fairy Mary," Tinkerbell mutters. "Come on, Manic." She flies off, and Manic follows her without a second thought.