1

TW: thoughts of beating, swearing and slight homophobia.

Grian's POV

I felt myself slowly regaining consciousness and rolled over, clutching my sheets and trying to fall back asleep. I wished I could dissolve into the warmness of my bed. But it was no use. I was awake. I opened my eyes and reached in the darkness for my glasses. I felt something that was the shape I was looking for, I picked it up and put them on. I sat up and reached for the light switch of my lamp. It came on and I squinted at the brightness of it. Once I got used to the light, I got out of bed and checked the time on my phone. It was 7AM. I walked to my closet and took out a white top, black jeans and my favourite red jumper. After I got dressed I headed to pearls room. I knocked on the door but at no response I came in. She was lying in her bead, head under pillow and half in her duvet and looking very much asleep. "Pearl." I said softly. No response. I laughed, rolled my eyes and shook her. She groaned and turned so her back was facing me.

"Peeeeaaaaarrrrllllllll," I said drawing it out. She made an indistinguishable noise. I smiled and said, "you can't ignore me forever Pearl. Wake uuuuuuuuuuppp!"

"Noooooooo," she moaned keeping her eyes firmly shut. I laughed again and shook her roughly. "Ahhhhh! Stooooooooooppp!" She cried in surprise. She sat up and looked at me and said, "THERE, I'm uppp." I laughed again and she gave me a reproachful look. "Shut your face,"she muttered putting her hand on my face and batting me away.

"Ahhh! What are you doing, we have school and if you keep this up we'll miss the bus!" I told her and covered my face.

"Well leave so I can get dressed dumbass," she said giving me a look. I raised my eyebrows.

"Ok, but your a bitch when you get woken up by me but your mama's little girl when she wakes you!" I pouted half pretending.

"Shut up," she said sleepily rubbing her eyes, "now leave so I can get dressed."

"Ok," I said defensively putting my hands up, "I'll leave."

I left the room and went downstairs apprehensively. I could hear mum and dad downstairs. I didn't want to be with them but if I wanted breakfast I would have to. I slunk into the kitchen but my mum looked up from her coffee. I forced a smile and greeted,

"Good morning," in a false cheery voice.

"What are you doing?" My dad asked, turning around.

"Just g-getting breakfast." I replied nervously.

"Well, wake your sister first," mum said.

"But I-" I started but was cut off by my mum saying,

"What did I say about talking back?! Just do it!"

"I-ok," I gave in and left the room. As I left, I heard dad saying,

"What a useless child, Pearl is so much better." I felt my eyes tearing up but quickly wiped them away. Pearl couldn't see me cry.

I knocked on her door and heard a "come in!" Come from inside. I opened the door and Pearl was sitting on her bed, on her phone. "What? What's wrong?" She asked looking up from her phone and face softening.

"What, nothings wrong just come down for breakfast," I lied, forcing a smile to put her at ease. She looked concerned and got up to follow me.

When we got downstairs mum and dad greeted Pearl with smiles and good mornings. She smiled back and made herself some cerial. I made myself some too and sat down to eat. Once I finished, I cleaned it and left. I went upstairs and looked at my messages. I didn't have any. Wait, my phone dinged. It was Scar. I blushed and opened the text.