16. Secrets

True to his word, Silo texted Kam later that morning, telling him where to meet. It's in a park downtown, and there's plenty of people, so they are unlikely to be heard. Or if they are heard, the likelihood of any passerby being interested enough to eavesdrop is lower than if they met somewhere else.

Talay is with him, and they've found a little patio table where no one else seemed to be interested in being, so they've claimed that. Talay seated at the table watching Silo pace. He notices the dark circles under Silo's eyes, but chooses not to comment. He asks a question instead.

"So are we going to tell him all of it, or just pieces he needs to know?"

Silo glances down at Talay, eyebrows raised. "What do you think?"

"I think if you keep doing that to your eyebrows they'll permanently disappear into your hairline." Talay matches Silo's expression, but his eyebrows don't go up quite that high. "I also think my friend who is also my boss should stop hiding things from people he cares about."

"Meaning?"

"Meaning...I will do and say whatever my friend who also happens to be my boss tells me to do or say and I will like it, even though I think he's an idiot." Talay ducks and Silo's swipes at his head. "What are you glaring for, isn't that what you wanted to hear?"

"Did you find anything remotely helpful or were you too busy dating my sister?"

"You don't trust your assistant? That hurts."

"You'll heal. Answer the damn question."

Talay gestures to the manila envelope on the table in front of him. "Everything in here is plenty helpful, as you well know. And why can't I date Em?"

"Never said you couldn't."

"You never said it out loud." Talay hesitates. "She knows about everything, by the way."

"Of course she does. Em can weasel anything she wants out of any person she wants to," Silo finally sits down next to Talay, pointing at the envelope. "She probably helped you find all of this, right?"

"Some," Talay has the grace to look a little uncomfortable. "Not all of it. When was the last time you slept?"

"I sleep."

"Yeah, every time you go on vacation. Which was when, again?"

Silo's face closes up. "I'm going back to Pattaya again this weekend."

"Is it another Working Weekend?"

"Shut up. I need you to keep an eye on things here. Not just in the office--"

"I go to the restaurant with Em every night that she works," Talay has read Silo's mind, which is why he's such a good assistant. "Kam's there too. You don't have to worry."

"I'm not worried."

"Anybody ever tell you that you're a shitty liar?"

"Not to my face."

The look on Silo's face tells Talay to shut up, so Talay shuts up. True, he's been spending a lot of time with Em, both at Gulf's restaurant and away from it. But he's also been spending a lot of time in the archives, just like Silo told him to. While the things that he's found are helpful, and will probably answer a lot of questions, the information is not going to make anyone happy.

Least of all Kam.

"Silo--"

"We tell him all of it," Now it's Silo's turn to read Talay's mind, and he finally answers Talay's original question. "But only if he asks."