22. Recovery

Em has to tend the bar mostly on her own for two reasons. First, the waitperson Gulf asked to assist her is less then experienced with anything to do with bartending, and second, the waitperson needs to help Em because Bel hasn't shown up. No calls, no texts, no LINE, nothing. Usually, he arrives at quarter to five, but it's almost two a.m. now, the restaurant is closing and there has been no sign of Bel, or his boyfriend.

If this hadn't been the second night in a row, Em wouldn't be so worried.

And it doesn't help that it's still raining.

Normally, Em doesn't mind the rain. But tonight, it only seems to add to her gloomy mood. She'd got a cryptic voicemail from Silo last night that she might be needed and to wait for Talay's call. But she hadn't heard from either her brother or her boyfriend since and that was starting to bug her, too.

"You ok?" Gulf stops by the bar on his way back from escorting the last couple of VIP guests to the door, and locking it for the night. "You look like everyone you know has died."

"Thanks," Em is tempted to flick ice at him, but decides not to. It's not as fun when Bel isn't watching. "Actually, I was wondering if you've heard from Bel."

"You're worried about him, too huh?" Gulf checks his phone. "If he's sick, he always lets me know, but I've heard nothing, and I don't have his boyfriend's number so I can't call him. Maybe your boyfriend knows something?"

Em shakes her head. "I doubt it. Talay is closer with Kam than he is with Bel."

"But since he's Bel's boyfriend, you would think Kam would pass on a message from Talay to you, don't you think?" Gulf asks. "At the very least so you could tell me and I don't have to fire Bel for a No Show?"

Em's eyebrows shoot up. "Would you really do that over one No Show?"

"Two," Gulf holds up two fingers for emphasis. " At the very least, I have to take disciplinary action. Unless Bel's dead."

Before Em has a chance to decide whether or not Gulf is being serious, her phone buzzes. Her forehead puckers at the two texts on the screen:

TALAY: Silo called. I'm waiting for you outside.

SILO: Talay is driving you to my place. NOW.

"Something wrong?" Gulf asks.

"I have to go to Pattaya." Em shows him the text. "Silo never texts in capitals unless there's a problem."

Gulf's keys are already in his hand. "My car's out front."

"You don't have to. Talay is driving me."

"Em, if there's a problem, I want to help you. Text me the address."

Em shares the location with Gulf, then goes out front where Talay is waiting in the car.

"This is about Bel, isn't it?"

"Smart girl," Talay hands a piece of paper over to Em. "Silo sent me with a list. I'm really hoping you have a lot of this at your apartment."

"Registered Nurse, remember?" Em scanned the lines of text as Talay pulls out of the restaurant parking lot. "Do I want to know how bad this is?"

"I think you'll see when we get there." Talay says.

Silo is a little taken aback when his sister and her boyfriend and the man he's dating show up on his doorstep. He lets Em and Talay in, but stops Gulf.

"Don't remember calling an entourage."

"You were in trouble," Gulf shrugs. "When was the last time you slept?"