26. Darkest Chocolate

Kit is sitting at the edge of the pool, legs dangling in the water. Silo joins him. For a minute, the only sound is the swishing of the water as two pairs of feet move through it. When Silo does speak, it's just to have something to say.

"You have the same tat Kam does."

Kit shoots Silo a look, then glances down at the black snake circling his wrist. "All three of us do. It's an ouroboros--means unity. We got them when Dad died."

Silo can't help lifting his eyebrows. "Your mom let your baby brother get inked?"

"My 'baby brother' is twenty-one," Kit smiles before he can stop himself. "And he wants to do whatever Kam and I do. Only he got a green one, instead of black."

Silo nods, but doesn't say anything else. He doesn't look at Kit either. Kit finally breaks the silence.

"Are you mad at me because I didn't tell you what I did for a living, or for Other Reasons?"

"I'm not mad at you," But Silo isn't looking at him.

"Still a shitty liar, then." Kit mutters. "KitKat?"

"You have an addiction to those things."

"Yeah, but I'm also generous." Kit holds a mini KitKat out to Silo. "You want it or not?"

After the screenshot of the unknown person from the CCTV footage had been printed, Talay and Em went back to Bangkok. Both had wanted to stay longer, but both had to go back to their other places of work or risk becoming unemployed. At least, that's what Silo said to get them both out of the house.

That was two days ago.

And that threat hadn't worked on Kit.

Silo takes the mini KiKat and pops it in his mouth. "This is green tea."

"The color didn't give that away?" Kit cocks an eyebrow at Silo—the opposite one that Kam usually does. "Are you going to tell me why you're mad at me?"

"What, are we back at uni now?"

"Sure," Kit's words are light, but his eyes are serious. "I liked how we talked back then. What's so funny?"

Now Silo's brows are raised. "You're going to call what we did 'talking'?"

"That's how I remember it." Kit nods. "You actually told me when something was wrong, rather than dancing around the issue like you're doing now."

"Fine," Silo looks down into the pool, rather than at Kit's face. "When did you get recruited?"

"Right out of uni. I told you, my dad called in a favor—"

"Why didn't you tell me?" It's a petty question, but Silo asks it anyway.

"Was I supposed to?" Kit's answer is not the one Silo is expecting.

If Silo says "no," then that means one thing--it means he doesn't know, doesn't care, never did, and never will. But if Silo says yes...

"Mm." Silo doesn't confirm or deny. He just makes that sound and hopes that Kit will keep talking and not make him give a definite answer.

"You didn't tell me about Gulf and Nina." Kit's tone is more curious than accusatory, but he's looking across the pool, rather than at Silo, so Silo can't help throwing Kit's words back in his face.

"Was I supposed to? I was asking you about what you did for Intelligence."

"It's just small jobs, mostly." Kit lets it go. "Gathering information, picking up and delivering packages, things like that. Nothing dangerous. At least, that's the hope. It helps that I travel around a lot anyway."